Rant: people at concerts

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Rant: people at concerts

Post by IMADreamer »

What is it that turns otherwise normal people into total idiots at concerts? That's not even the rant though, the rant is the people who are probably normally idiots who go to concerts. So we go to Rib fest Sunday to see 7 Mary 3, Candlebox, and Collective Soul. Candlebox sucked the other two were ok. So we got there early camped out a spot and unfolded our chairs. We were right up against the fence so no one could get in front of us. Then a couple families come in behind us and beside us and we are all set, there is no way anyone would dare sneak through a hole the size of a yorkie to get in front of us. Guess what they did. Then there was this one lady was annoying as hell. I don't go to concerts to make friends leave me alone.

Then there are these two asshat high school kids that squeeze up between the rather huge man behind me and myself. So I stand up as does the big man behind me to sort of intimidate them. It works for one of them and he's suddenly very uncomfortable and tugging on his friend to leave. Then the friend tries to jump the fence to get into the VIP section, I say tries because he didn't make it, of course he bumps into my gf almost knocking her over. So I get right in this kids face and tell him if that happens again we are going to have a big [expletive] problem. He doesn't say anything but tries to jump the fence again so as he gets on top I give him a big shove and he face plants on the concrete. He scraped he face pretty good, I hope he's scared for life. The big man behind me says to his friend "you want in there, I'll throw your ass over the fence." The second kid who is much wiser walks away. Turns out in talking to the big man that the kid I shoved over the fence knocked into this guys daughter (who was handicapped) and spilled soda all over her.

I hate people in general, but it seems like in concerts the real [expletive] always come out. I'm probably done going to general admission concerts. I've just had too many bad experiences. Why the need to get two feet closer to the stage? Why the need to ruin other peoples experience, like a handicapped girl just to be a little closer?

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Re: Rant: people at concerts

Post by TimeForGuinness »

I'm old, so I just stand in the back. Since I'm 6'1", I can see and hear just fine from the back without blowing out my eardrums...plus, being in the back usually means there is more space, and I'm closer to the bar (most important).

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Funny, my wife and I were at a Martina McBride concert a few years back. A guy behind us with who I assume were his wife and two daughters spilled his beer on Mrs. Leroy. She got up and was going to give him the business, but I told her to relax and sit down. She was livid. On the way home I explained that if the guy went off it wasn't her ass he was going to kick.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

TimeForGuinness wrote:I'm old, so I just stand in the back. Since I'm 6'1", I can see and hear just fine from the back without blowing out my eardrums...plus, being in the back usually means there is more space, and I'm closer to the bar (most important).
If that makes you old, then I don't want to be young.

/not young anymore

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Leroy wrote:Funny, my wife and I were at a Martina McBride concert a few years back. A guy behind us with who I assume were his wife and two daughters spilled his beer on Mrs. Leroy. She got up and was going to give him the business, but I told her to relax and sit down. She was livid. On the way home I explained that if the guy went off it wasn't her ass he was going to kick.

lol that's so true. My gf is too nice she just shrugs it off then complains all the way home. I'm the more proactive. Plus I knew if these two kids started something gigantor behind me was on my side. lol

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Yeah. The worst is when you get to a concert early to get a good spot. You've been waiting 2-3 hours for the main act to get on and suddenly all these people who got to the show late try sneaking forward. Makes me want to start punching people.

The worst is the KSHE shows like El Monstero. All these middle-aged guys who haven't been to a concert in 20 years come down into the pit all drunk and wanting to "have fun" without an inkling of understanding concert etiquette.

The first year Celebration Day was at the Pageant I went with a bunch of friends. This drunk guy in his late 30s/early 40s walks right infront of our group and just stands there. There was no space in front of us, so he basically stopped with about 4 inches between our faces and his old sweaty shirt. So we decided to be nice and move, he moved in front of us again, we move once more, he moves in front of us again. (He was drunk and moving back and forth quite a bit, so he managed to annoy multiple people).

Finally one of my friends, a woman who's all of 4'8 and 110pounds soaking wet and easily the most intimidating woman I've ever met, taps the guy on the shoulder and tells him (in not so nice terms) that he needs to get out of his way or she was going to start tearing off his body parts. The Dude went over to the other side of the pit.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

TheoSqua wrote:Yeah. The worst is when you get to a concert early to get a good spot. You've been waiting 2-3 hours for the main act to get on and suddenly all these people who got to the show late try sneaking forward. Makes me want to start punching people.

The worst is the KSHE shows like El Monstero. All these middle-aged guys who haven't been to a concert in 20 years come down into the pit all drunk and wanting to "have fun" without an inkling of understanding concert etiquette.

The first year Celebration Day was at the Pageant I went with a bunch of friends. This drunk guy in his late 30s/early 40s walks right infront of our group and just stands there. There was no space in front of us, so he basically stopped with about 4 inches between our faces and his old sweaty shirt. So we decided to be nice and move, he moved in front of us again, we move once more, he moves in front of us again. (He was drunk and moving back and forth quite a bit, so he managed to annoy multiple people).

Finally one of my friends, a woman who's all of 4'8 and 110pounds soaking wet and easily the most intimidating woman I've ever met, taps the guy on the shoulder and tells him (in not so nice terms) that he needs to get out of his way or she was going to start tearing off his body parts. The Dude went over to the other side of the pit.
When I was at the Memphis Music Fest, there was a lot of dbags like this. At 1 show, there was a whole group of these hippy kids stoned as [expletive] doing the same crap. 1 of them kept swaying right into me and his gf in front of him was waving her arms around and poked me in the head a couple times. Eventually I was too fed up, so I shoved him over and told him, "Touch me again and I'll snap your [expletive] granola neck". They all left after that.

2nd Timer
Veteran Player

Post by 2nd Timer »

[expletive] hardcore dancers. They all need to die.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.
This was said before general admission seating came into vogue.

I'm like TFG (only older probably), so I don't fight for a good spot any more either. I sure don't spend the night in line for tix or to get that prime location.
Last edited by Spider John on May 31 11, 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

IMADreamer wrote:Why the need to get two feet closer to the stage?
But if this is of no concern, why did you camp out to defend such a position? It's just not worth getting in fights about who can stand where. The closer you try and stand, the more likely that this sort of conflict will be a problem. I just stand further back and avoid the issue. Which, I suppose, is easy for me to say as I am tall.