'Burb Boy

Re: United Airlines, I hate you deeply.

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Clearly we need dog control now

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

So United's solution to the problem is now to have the gate agents give pet owners a "bright tag" to affix to the carrier so the flight crew is aware there's a pet on board. Now if something happens and the gate agent "forgets" to give the pet owner a new tag, the flight crew won't be held liable.

Way to shift the blame for future incidents, United.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

The owner didn’t tell the FA there was a dog in the bag? The FA couldn’t tell? The other passengers didn’t know/speak up?

Something is fishy here. I demand a Special Counsel be appointed.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Radbird wrote:The owner didn’t tell the FA there was a dog in the bag? The FA couldn’t tell? The other passengers didn’t know/speak up?

Something is fishy here. I demand a Special Counsel be appointed.
Yes, she did. No, she couldn't. No, they didn't.

At least that is according to United's last official statement regarding the story.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Stop flying with your damn pets!! Leave them the [expletive] at home!

United is obv wrong/a terrible airline it seems, but if people weren’t so [expletive] weird and taking their dogs with them, then none of this would happen.

(Obv service dogs are a separate issue)

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

cardsfantx wrote:Stop flying with your damn pets!! Leave them the [expletive] at home!

United is obv wrong/a terrible airline it seems, but if people weren’t so [expletive] weird and taking their dogs with them, then none of this would happen.

(Obv service dogs are a separate issue)
I'm confused as to why you're so opposed to this? If someone wants to bring their pet along on a trip I'm not sure how it effects you in anyway.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Because it’s weird. And annoying. Leave your dog at home.

It’s like my kids, and my dog. I LOVE them, but I bet you don’t. I don’t want to be around your kids and your dog. It’s bad enough that kids are allowed on planes. I don’t want to deal with dogs now too. And that dog was barking the whole flight?? I would lose my [expletive] if I was on that plane and had to listen to that. Not that I felt bad for the dog; the barking would annoy the [expletive] out of me.

I don’t mind my kids crying/throwing a fit in my home, but I’m not going to subject others to that out in public. And I don’t want to hear anyone else’s either.

I understand international flights/you don’t have a choice, but to fly with your kids...but on domestic trips I always drive with my kids, and would be much happier if everyone else did as well. And now dogs? [expletive] that.

It’s like my friends, that want to bring their dog over when we have a party/cookout/whatever. [expletive] that. Leave your damn dog at home. I have my own dog...and you’ll notice that he’s in his kennel when you’re over. Same with your kids...unless it’s specified as a family event, leave your kids at home too. Can’t find a sitter? Don’t come. Notice also if it’s an adult party, my kids are gone at a sitters.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

cardsfantx wrote:Because it’s weird. And annoying. Leave your dog at home.

It’s like my kids, and my dog. I LOVE them, but I bet you don’t. I don’t want to be around your kids and your dog. It’s bad enough that kids are allowed on planes. I don’t want to deal with dogs now too. And that dog was barking the whole flight?? I would lose my [expletive] if I was on that plane and had to listen to that. Not that I felt bad for the dog; the barking would annoy the [expletive] out of me.

I don’t mind my kids crying/throwing a fit in my home, but I’m not going to subject others to that out in public. And I don’t want to hear anyone else’s either.

I understand international flights/you don’t have a choice, but to fly with your kids...but on domestic trips I always drive with my kids, and would be much happier if everyone else did as well. And now dogs? [expletive] that.

It’s like my friends, that want to bring their dog over when we have a party/cookout/whatever. [expletive] that. Leave your damn dog at home. I have my own dog...and you’ll notice that he’s in his kennel when you’re over. Same with your kids...unless it’s specified as a family event, leave your kids at home too. Can’t find a sitter? Don’t come. Notice also if it’s an adult party, my kids are gone at a sitters.
I thought this was going to about how flying would be traumatic for the pet -- that's certainly my big worry, though I guess the dogs in these stories must be small and maybe used to travelling in bags? Having to travel in the cargo area seems awful.

Regarding annoying children and pets on planes, I disagree. As a child or pet guardian, you certainly have an obligation to promote good behavior and to try and stop them from bothering others, but on the flip side, I think we have a social obligation to be accommodating. I don't know know that there's some hard and fast rule, but especially with respect to children, it seems deeply antisocial to demand that parents withdraw from public accommodation because others may be bothered by ordinary child behavior.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I'd rather sit by someone's dog on a plane than most people.