Re: rant: fine dining

Post by lukethedrifter »

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Freed Roger wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:A Guide To Very Specific Midwestern Sandwiches

I didn't know that a Brain Sandwich was a thing in St. Louis. Anyone had the one they mention?
Not the one they mentioned. But had brain sandwich, cooked by my relatives. German descent, rural. I remember it being coated in cracker crumbs and fried. I can't recollect it enough to describe the taste, but recall it being unique- Did Not "taste like chicken."

For years I thought it was a dish called brains, and never knew it was actual hog brains.
My grandma made brains. Czech/Slovak descent. Pan fried, looked a lot like scrambled eggs. She would always seek out the fried brain sandwich booth at local fairs & festivals. The one I remember was at Carondelet Park. Molly said she remembered it too and thought there were still booths at South City events.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I know what I'm eating next time I'm in St Loius. This is awesome, I love little bits of city history through food.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I didn't even realize until this morning that World's Fair Donuts have been closed for about a month now. I noticed it on my way to work since I had planned on stopping in to pick up some donuts for a meeting this morning so when I got to the office I looked it up and apparently the wife tripped over a fan back on July 15 and broker her pelvis and hip sockets. The article was from August 6 on STLToday and she said at that time they would be back open as soon as she was able to get around with a walker. She misses the shop and her regulars. I hope she recovers soon.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Their son used to help with that place years ago. I guess he moved on. Anyway with a broken hip I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t make it back.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

lukethedrifter wrote:Their son used to help with that place years ago. I guess he moved on. Anyway with a broken hip I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t make it back.
That's what I'm thinking too.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Grace Meat + Three is expanding with a late night spot providing window service from their current building soon. It will be called Grace Chicken + Fish. I'm looking forward to it. They'll be open from 11pm - 3am on the weekends to start and you'll just order from a walk up window along Tower Grove Ave and then they'll have something like 35-40 seats on the sidewalk/patio there for those who want to eat together before everybody heads off in their own direction home.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Eating at Tailor in Nashville before the Jason Isbell concert tonight. Should be interesting and delicious.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Sean Brock is opening up an Appalachian focused restaurant in Nashville next year. Should be interesting. Saw him in convo with Patrick Carney of the Black Keys on the Vandy campus last night. Just came out with a very cool cookbook. Ate at City House on his rec after.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

That's awesome, luke. I can't wait to eat there, I've been to Brock's Husk in Nashville and had a really great meal.