rant: fine dining

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: rant: fine dining

Post by lukethedrifter »

33anda3rd wrote:That's awesome, luke. I can't wait to eat there, I've been to Brock's Husk in Nashville and had a really great meal.
He’s out at Husk and McCrady’s. Said this place is going to be his legacy and last restaurant.

I knew Patrick Carney would make for a good interview (read:conversation) being familiar with his Slacker radio station.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I stopped in Hook and Reel at Kingshighway and Chippewa last night for the first time and it was pretty good. And REALLY messy. Don't go there if you are dressed up for a night on the down that's for sure. Thankfully they have wet naps in a bucket at the table because as much as I tried to not be messy and wiped my hands on napkins multiple times, by the end my hands were coated in seasoned garlic butter. There is just no way around it since you have to peel the shrimp, get the meat out of the crab legs and lobster tail. I probably should have used a bib too but I managed to keep my shirt clean somehow.

I ended up getting the Mardi Gras which was a cluster of snow crab legs, a 6oz lobster tail and half a pound of shrimp (head off but there are options to get your shrimp with the head on if that's your thing) along with a couple of small red potatoes and half an ear of corn. It was definitely good but for $33 I will get a different combination next time and maybe kick up the spice level from mild to the middle one. The crab and lobster tail add a bunch to the cost but after you get rid of the shells, there just isn't enough meat left to justify the extra expense for me. A better route would have been to just get the shrimp and then added a half pound of sausage for $5. It would be more actual food, a lot cheaper and I wouldn't have walked out of there craving more crab since those crab legs were just enough to give me a taste. I still want more crab even this morning.

I will be back though.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Looong read on tough times in the restaurant biz
https://thecounter.org/why-restaurants- ... s-angeles/

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I live pretty close to El Bronco, on Cherokee, and I started going in because I noticed it was the only one that was always full of Mexican people - like, my brain went "well, if they like it, it should hopefully be decent?" It's great, and cheap, so if you're ever in the area I recommend it. Also, I was walking my dog the other day, and passed a couple of young women who were saying "shall we just look at Yelp?" so I suggested they go there. I hope they liked it!

Vegetarian burrito is delicious, and apparently the chicken enchiladas are good too.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I don't remember if I ever mentioned it in here, but MayoKetchup in Lafayette Square is awesome. We go there literally every week. Partially because eating paleo, the jibarito (a beef or pork sandwich with smashed and fried plantains as the bread) is something we can actually eat and its SO AMAZING. I've tried a couple other things they serve, which have all been good, but the jibarito is so good I just get it every time. Owners are super nice too.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I just had the most amazing Indian curry ever, excluding the homemade curry I've had from one of my employees.

STL peeps, if you like Indian food, you have to try Maaji's Street Kitchen on N Lindbergh. It's not fancy inside. Mostly a carryout business. But HOLY SMOKES it's AMAZING food.