Fireworks

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: Fireworks

Post by jim »

cardinalkarp wrote:I believe jim is talking about satellites?
They made an evil whizzing sound as they tracked your ass down. The relief when you were chased and it turned direction. Then they were kind of fun, because your brother who was laughing at you running your ass off was not getting his ass chased.

Just evil. They were like the SNL Bags O' Glass. Just everything was done to these little things to make them completely unsafe.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

jim wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:I believe jim is talking about satellites?
They made an evil whizzing sound as they tracked your ass down. The relief when you were chased and it turned direction. Then they were kind of fun, because your brother who was laughing at you running your ass off was not getting his ass chased.

Just evil. They were like the SNL Bags O' Glass. Just everything was done to these little things to make them completely unsafe.
IIRC, the whistler bottle rockets with the plastic tip were erratic - like a scud missile.

For a period of time in my childhood, we had the perfect neighborhood -when right behind us was a family with 5 boys that lined up perfectly in age with us. So we had instant evenly-matched baseball football teams and rivalries (not basketball, we were no match for them there).

We liked those guys but we also gave each other a lot of [expletive]. We had fantastic bottle rocket wars over the wood fence to their yard. You could hardly see if you had a hit, you'd just gauge it by the cussing. We'd go up on our garage roofs and to upstairs windows for better launch angles.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

jim wrote:
They were like the SNL Bags O' Glass.
Yeah, well, look - you know, the average kid, he picks up, you know, broken glass anywhere, you know? The beach, the street, garbage cans, parking lots, all over the place in any big city. We're just packaging what the kids want! I mean, it's a creative toy, you know? If you hold this up, you know, you see colors, every color of the rainbow! I mean, it teaches him about light refraction, you know? Prisms, and that stuff! You know what I mean?

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

For some unknown reason the fireworks stand up the road thought 2:30 AM would be a good time to advertise some of their higher end merchandise. I almost called the cops on them just for being so stupid and normally I'm not the type of person that would even care.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

I can not believe we didn't get a visit last night. My brother-in-law apparently "has a connection", and we were able to score some pretty serious stuff. Not a bad show at all on the farm last night, and while there are about 3 houses of families in 5 square miles I know we are about 3 miles from I55 and it's flat as a pancake, so I'm pretty sure a cruising state cop could see it pretty easily.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I took my oldest kid to the River Bandits game and QC had their big fireworks show after the game on July 3. The fireworks were quite good:
http://www.milb.com/photos/gallery.jsp? ... 2&sid=t565

But the place was an absolute zoo. 7,000+ people crammed into our ballpark (which I estimate only has about 5,000 seats + standing room), plus another 15,000 people, easily, in the park next door and other areas around downtown. Throw in those watching on the IL side, and I bet there were 30,000 people total watching on the riverfront, probably more. Well, our downtown area isn't set up to move that kind of traffic efficiently. It took 50 minutes to drive 2.4 miles to my house.

There is a scenic overlook closer to our house where I've watched fireworks before, but even that gets crowded for the big show. The night before, the River Bandits did their own smaller fireworks show. I took these pictures from the overlook that night.
[SHOW]

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Got to love waking up at three am to the sound of some [expletive] setting off explosives.

[expletive] fireworks.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

CardsofSTL wrote:
July 4 22, 12:16 pm
Got to love waking up at three am to the sound of some [expletive] setting off explosives.

[expletive] fireworks.
Approve of this rant. Fireworks suck.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

cardinalkarp wrote:
July 4 22, 2:18 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
July 4 22, 12:16 pm

[expletive] fireworks.
Approve of this rant. Fireworks suck.
Yup. And as dry as it is around here, everybody holds there breath this time of years. Got a good 1" local rain on Saturday so that will help right around here. But we get smoke from hundreds of miles away.