Fireworks

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: Fireworks

Post by jim »

lukethedrifter wrote:This wet weather is going to keep the fires way down this year. Unlike last year.

Some poor kid lost most of his hand last week around here.

The 4th is my Dad's Christmas, we go to his farm and have a big blow out with the entire family. Sadly, last year he had to cancel because 1)it was too dry for fireworks and 2) it was too hot. He was seriously bummed out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this year, it really is a fun day.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sutter'sBeard wrote:
JL21 wrote:As a kid, they were fun because you could fire bottle rockets at neighborhood cats who wandered into the yard.
We fired them at each other. Every July I am thankful that I made it through my youth with all of my fingers, eyes, and hearing. Put bottle rockets into small pvc pipes and stood on opposite ends of a tennis court and shock and awed the f***out of each other.
We shot them out of wiffle ball bats, and yes definitely shot them at each other.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

My hearing is worse in one ear from a bottle rocket exploding right next to it and I have scars on my hands from the burning wicks that fly out the back when they take off.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Sutter'sBeard wrote:
JL21 wrote:As a kid, they were fun because you could fire bottle rockets at neighborhood cats who wandered into the yard.
We fired them at each other. Every July I am thankful that I made it through my youth with all of my fingers, eyes, and hearing. Put bottle rockets into small pvc pipes and stood on opposite ends of a tennis court and shock and awed the f***out of each other.
We shot them out of wiffle ball bats, and yes definitely shot them at each other.
We actually shot them into some girls apartment in college. Also does anyone remember those flying saucer things that would chase your ass all around the yard? They were the knuckleball of flying fireworks - they went where the wind current took them but I always thought they had some honing device on them.

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

One of the main reasons I wish people would not let their cats wander. Claws and all, our's are strictly indoor cats and will never wander into anyone's yard.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Diddy wrote:You guys don't sound like much fun. Sparkler bombs anyone?
Pretty sure that's what gave the dog a seizure.

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Diddy wrote:You guys don't sound like much fun. Sparkler bombs anyone?
Pretty sure that's what gave the dog a seizure.
Several years ago when we still had Molly I had to be the "Get off my lawn" guy and tell the kids across the street to stop shooting off bottle rockets and firecrackers because our dog was freaking out. They continued and were none too pleased when I threatened to call the police since they are illegal in the city. The cats don't seem to be bothered by them.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

We had fun with them. They were illegal in our town, so we'd get them across the Mississippi,-even rode our bikes once over the decrepit bridge. Our parents weren't thrilled with it, but I don't recall them trying to restrict them since we had our own means & transportation. They may have tried to get us to stick to sparklers and snakes -to no avail.

We did the usual stuff - black cats in a can, bottle rocket wars. We'd try to save some for later occasions -such as New Years Eve. Big Cardinal victories etc.

I don't recall it being much of an issue. It was normal adolescent fun, with an edge. Cops would occasionally drive by, and we'd lay low. This illegal factor and our limited finances kept us in check - no money for roman candles, and under the counter m-80s/cherry bombs.

I'm not a big fan anymore, but wondering if things have escalated since then. Now you have adults going and spending a fortune on this stuff. There even is a year-round big box fireworks store up Highway 61 by Hannibal. Adults ruin everything.

jim wrote:
Also does anyone remember those flying saucer things that would chase your ass all around the yard? They were the knuckleball of flying fireworks - they went where the wind current took them but I always thought they had some honing device on them.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I believe jim is talking about satellites?

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

One time as a kid I was at this crappy county fireworks show. Well, they had this band that played before the show and they played a song called "Fireworks." It went something like this: "Fireworks... talkin' bout fireworks..... fireworks....talkin' bout fireworks."

It was horrible.