Sounds good. Good luck.

Freed would suggest you put the ribs in a crockpot. Lol

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: First world problems.

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

JCShutout wrote:
March 20 20, 12:03 pm
Yeah, I will cook it whole. I found a couple of videos with how tos and the like for cooking a 10lb butt which made me feel a bit better about how to do it. I don't have a fancy thermometer that I can keep in the animal all day, but I can just keep the temperature gauge in the vent where it needs to be and check a couple of times when I add charcoal and wood chips. My plan is to finish a few projects and do this mid or late next week after a day of research and note prep and after making a rub and maybe a bbq sauce from scratch. I figure I'll start around 6 or 7am so it will be done by dinnertime. We have a bunch of plastic individual serving containers for freezing leftovers in single-serve batches so I figure we can eat it for 2-3 days and freeze the rest.

I assume this is something I can get started and leave for small stretches of time. Go on 30-60 min walks, come back and check the temperature, etc?

If that goes well and I can't get or afford a brisket, we do have a couple racks of ribs in the deep freeze. Might try smoking those next. We usually cook them low and slow in the oven and they are amazing, but we'll see. Lets not put the cart in front of the horse.
I've been waiting on bated breath for an update on this....

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Lol, haven't done it yet. I wanted to get my two big projects done quickly and I did by the end of last week. Now work has come up with some options for us to work a bit from home, so I've been putting in 3-6 hours/day this week in addition to a TON of yardwork and another smaller project. Hoping to do it sometime next week now that ALL of the big projects are done, and I figure I can work inside and go check on it every hour or so.

I mean, we are for sure closed through 4/22, and highly likely longer, so there is plenty of time. It will happen and there will be pics. (Unless I botch it, then the pics will magically be accidentally deleted)

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

sometimes things just go bad
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
July 4 15, 3:19 pm
Sometimes...things just go badly.
[SHOW]

And...[expletive] here comes the storm out of nowhere.so i get the only rope i had laying around to...uh secure it to the grill....
And...yeah, that was never going to work...

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

look, i'm nothing if not consistent with wanting pics.
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
April 26 14, 5:27 pm
we need some pics of this bad boy, FB

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Keeping a little 19" charcoal grill at a consistent temperature is a lot of work.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

JCShutout wrote:
April 5 20, 9:38 am
Keeping a little 19" charcoal grill at a consistent temperature is a lot of work.
Yes!

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Photobucket no longer hosts stuff for free so I have no pictures for you. (Well I have pictures, but no place to host them and no desire to search one out.)

I rubbed it in a slightly tweaked version of emeril's essence pork rub recipe which we really like on our pork ribs. (Which we usually bake low and slow in the oven, but I'm going to try and smoke those in a few weeks) Got it on the grill at 7am and it was done by 4. The first few hours was a mess of tweaking the number of coals to get the damn temperature right. My little weber is nearing 40 years old, and it just doesn't hold a consistent temperature like the ones in the tutorials and videos I watched. I had seen videos where they just added a few unlit coals and that [expletive] didn't work as they wouldn't light, and the temperature either seemed to stay at 150 or 350 for the first hour so I had to light coals in my chimney in my firepit to add them. I eventually settled on whacking up the grill temp to around 300 and adding when it dropped past 220, about every 60-90 min. This way I could actually relax for more than 10 minutes at a time. I figure since the pork butt is so moist and fatty, it was very forgiving at those temperatures. I poured water over it maybe 2 or 3 (4?) times throughout the morning.

It hit 160 degrees at 1pm or so, at which point I wrapped it in foil with some water and hot sauce and fat drippings and continued cooking it over indirect heat until it hit 205. By the end of the day I had the temperature down. I checked the temp at 2:30 or 3 and told my wife. "It'll be done around 4", and just left it alone. Sure enough, it was 204/205 at 4 when I checked it. Made a bbq sauce from tomato sauce, honey, maple syrup, paprika, cayenne, balsamic vinegar, onion powder, salt and one or two other spices based on taste that tasted a bit tomato-ey on its own but just came alive on the pork.

It was SO GGGOOOOODDDDDDDDDD! I'm sure I ate a half pound or more of it last night.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

JCShutout wrote:
April 6 20, 11:44 am
Photobucket no longer hosts stuff for free so I have no pictures for you. (Well I have pictures, but no place to host them and no desire to search one out.)
You can upload pictures directly from your device by tapping the imgur button below while writing your post as an FYI.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Yeah, except then where do I access the link? I then went and just uploaded them to imgur and the link didn't work.

So that's more effort that I originally planned.