First world problems.

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: First world problems.

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I keep thinking, there's no problem with the supply chain, and at some point fairly soon all the people who don't give a damn about their fellow human beings will have stocked up, so the rest of us can just go for a normal shop. People will only have a limited amount of space to store meat, bread and toilet roll, surely?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
March 18 20, 10:03 am
I keep thinking, there's no problem with the supply chain, and at some point fairly soon all the people who don't give a damn about their fellow human beings will have stocked up, so the rest of us can just go for a normal shop. People will only have a limited amount of space to store meat, bread and toilet roll, surely?
There may be production issues in the supply chain, i.e. China produces a lot of toilet paper, so until those factories get up and pumping again, there may be shortages, but I agree that the supply chain isn't a huge concern. It'll normalize.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I managed to get to the store and picked up enough to get me through for awhile last night and was also able to help out a neighbor who needed formula for their baby and toilet paper. I had toilet paper to spare so I gave them three rolls to get by for a bit and then thanks to my friends on Facebook, I not only found them a store nearby that had just restocked formula but two friends also offered up extra that they don't need anymore and diapers that one friend's baby grew out of but are the right size for my neighbor. I have good friends.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Good to hear! I expect supply chains and things to normalize too but I got concerned when you said you had nothing. I've been able to get some stuff for a stuck coworker and have offered to do supply runs for elderly neighbors and have done a couple for some shelters.

Plus things are escalating so quickly, that who knows, we may all be on lockdown in a week, or 3 days.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I'm just putting this out there but you all know you can use rags and things like that for TP and rewash them if things get really bad?

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I meant more that he had no food. Agreed on rags and washing for tp.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

One of the professors on my floor - Panos Kouvelis - has been interviewed on local TV a few times. He joked that he spent all this time to become an international expert on supply chains, only to be asked about toilet paper. I can always email if I need a nice, dry, factual dose of sense.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I am going to smoke a whole pork loin tomorrow. Should I use apple wood, hickory wood or a combo? I can't decide.

These are the kind of things I'm focusing on right now.

My wife is making a taco feast today and making homemade tortilla shells. I can't wait.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
March 19 20, 9:13 am
I am going to smoke a whole pork loin tomorrow. Should I use apple wood, hickory wood or a combo? I can't decide.

These are the kind of things I'm focusing on right now.

My wife is making a taco feast today and making homemade tortilla shells. I can't wait.
Love this. Its actually very smart. Focus on what is in front of you. Yesterday was the first day off work for us, so I made a daily routine schedule for myself (including two workouts a day, well, one is a walk/ruck) and a giant list of projects and things to try. One of which is learning how to smoke meats in my charcoal grill. (There were plenty of bags of charcoal and smoking chips at the grocery store during the panic, and no one seems to want pork, so I picked up a big pork butt and already had a brisket in the freezer.) I grabbed hickory and pecan, because I had no clue what was good. Never tried it before. Probably won't do it until next week sometime as I have other projects to do first and I'll make it a yardwork day since I figure it will take, what, 8 hours?

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

IMADreamer wrote:
March 18 20, 3:20 pm
I'm just putting this out there but you all know you can use rags and things like that for TP and rewash them if things get really bad?
Or just take a shower. i really don't understand the TP panic buying.