Alzheimer's

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Alzheimer's

Post by sighyoung »

Molly wrote:Rad, you and your sisters should check out Nazareth Living Center in south county.

http://www.nazarethlivingcenter.com/
I hope the Nazareth Center in South County proves to be a good option. We have a Nazareth home here in Louisville that is the best facility in the city. It was built to serve retired nuns, but takes others. The downside: in Louisville, it had a two-year waiting list, which wasn't an option for me.

In other words, start looking now--but you know this.

Another thing, Rad: I would suggest looking for a facility where your mother can transition, say, from assisted living to skilled nursing, and one that will accept Medicaid, should your mother's assets get spent down and she becomes eligible. A social worker who specializes in working with the elderly can make solid suggestions, but family will want to see the facilities first-hand.

I wouldn't suggest a for-profit place: it may bounce your mother once she no longer has assets, and you wind up scrambling.

I'll shut up--it's just that I went through all this through the middle of this year.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

We were fortunate in that David's pensions along with a long term disability policy (that Mutual of Omaha made very difficult to collect on) covered the cost of David's housing and care.
The place he ended up just before he died is probably the place he should have been the whole time, Garden View Care Center in Ballwin.

Two big thumbs down for Sunrise on Clayton. Really a mess.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

lukethedrifter wrote:We were fortunate in that David's pensions along with a long term disability policy (that Mutual of Omaha made very difficult to collect on) covered the cost of David's housing and care.
The place he ended up just before he died is probably the place he should have been the whole time, Garden View Care Center in Ballwin.

Two big thumbs down for Sunrise on Clayton. Really a mess.
I'm sorry for your stepfather's passing and sorry you had to go through this, Luke.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Mom went from St Mary's to rehab. Was getting better then got very sick again Friday and ended up at Des Peres hospital.

She has a pretty severe case of C. diff. She's in an isolation room and we have scrub in and wear gowns and gloves to see her. She looks better today, but it's not easy for a 90-year old already weak from fighting the flu to overcome this. Minimum 5-day stay. The sisters and I are taking shifts to be with her.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

She's out of intensive care - moved to Red's ACE. Gotta be a good sign, right?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

The memorial service for David was really nice.

Hope all goes well with your mom, Rad. Again, I can recommend Garden View at Big Bend and Dougherty Ferry if it fits the budget.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

She's home. Tired and achy but no longer contagious.

Thanks, Red.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

Mom had a stroke yesterday, a little over a week after she came home. Is in the neuro wing at St. Clare's in Fenton. She's awake, can listen and understand. Weakness on right side (I thought it was usually on the left) and can't talk. Passed the swallow test.

Poor lady. MRI tomorrow should tell us what we're dealing with.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Sorry to hear that, Radbird. I'm sure this is tough on all of you, so best wishes to you all. I'm glad she's safe and under care.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

St. Clare's sent her to Cardinal Ritter Senior Services on Watson for rehab. She had another stroke on Xmas eve. Last weekend the c. diff came back with a vengeance and sapped what little strength and will to fight she had left.

They were getting ready to move her to the hospice wing when she passed away last night. We were driving in to say goodbye and making a pit stop in Raytown when we heard the news. She spent most of her last month more dazed and confused than ever, wondering what in the hell was happening to her. While sad that we didn't make it in time, it was comforting to know her suffering, both physical and mental, was over.

She had a long and remarkable life. Family is coming in from all over the country. We are meeting with the funeral home folks tomorrow to set the schedule. Mini-rad and her cousins have spent today going through family photos to make photoboards for the viewing.

I'm extremely lucky to have had her in my life for so long. I recognize that many are not so fortunate. I forward to celebrating her life with family and friends over the next week.