CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Random musings

Post by CardsofSTL »

tlombard wrote:
April 14 20, 2:47 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
April 14 20, 10:49 am
I know I didn't have to yet; but I went ahead and paid my taxes today. You're welcome America.
I hope you don't end up like me. Paying my taxes was the beginning of some decently bad luck for me. I figured that with the stay at home order, I wouldn't be spending money on sports or bars so I paid mine early while I had the cash and within two weeks I hit a pothole which blew out a tire. Not a huge deal at first because I needed new tires soon anyway. So instead of waiting another month or so for new tires, I put on four new ones the next Friday afternoon. Six hours later... I hit a deer and now my car is all messed up still. I don't have full coverage and don't want to spend the cash right now to fix it so I'm stuck only being able to drive during the daylight since only one headlight works. Thankfully I was able to cut off a small section of the fender with and angle grinder and that allowed me to fit the regular wheel and tire back on the car so at least I am mobile enough to hit the grocery store from time to time.

If it wasn't for this stupid pandemic, I wouldn't have paid my taxes early so I would have had the cash to fix the car if I had hit a deer and I wouldn't have been running the errand that I was when I hit the pothole because I would have been in the office working so I wouldn't have put new tires on when I did and even without the other stuff, I would have taken an Uber to the bar on a Friday night instead of taking a late night drive to just get out of the apartment when I hit the deer. Everything is Covid-19's fault!!!!

Lets hope I don't have your kind of luck.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I'm having pizza for lunch and there is nothing you guys can do to stop me.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I had nachos for lunch.

I'm smoking a 7.5 lb prime rib roast for dinner and using at least 2 lbs of the leftovers for prime rib, vegetable soup! Hooray for me!

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

We're having Costco for lunch. Which means taking our lives in our hands and eating in the car. At this point, sounds exciting!

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Oh look it's snowing. At least I didn't plant 800 acres of corn in the last week. Oh wait, I did.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

IMADreamer wrote:
April 16 20, 8:44 am
Oh look it's snowing. At least I didn't plant 800 acres of corn in the last week. Oh wait, I did.
Oh no! Does this mean your crop is ruined or will yield per acre just go down? This city slicker knows it's not good, but not quite sure just how bad.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote:
April 16 20, 8:58 am
IMADreamer wrote:
April 16 20, 8:44 am
Oh no! Does this mean your crop is ruined or will yield per acre just go down? This city slicker knows it's not good, but not quite sure just how bad.
A lot of it will be ok. A lot of it is not up yet so it probably won't be hurt. Some of it that is up is probably screwed. The cold will basically frost bite it. It will probably come out of it but at reduced yield. What I'm really worried about is 100 acres of it was last years seed. It was so wet last year we had to plant beans instead of corn on some ground because it got to late to plant corn. That meant we have seed left over. The seed is fine, but it will not be covered by insurance since it's last year seed. So if it doesn't come up because of the cold I'm just out that money. Corn costs roughly $660 an acre to plant in case you were wondering.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

@IMADreamer Ugh, that sucks man. I hope it turns out better than it sounds. How soon will you be able to tell?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Last year was the rain. This year snow. The Midwest is wild.

Had a tornado hit the park a block from my house, experience three consecutive 80 degree days (on the first day my AC was triggered but instead of turning on, the heater kicked in and got my house up to 88 before I was able to cut the power and re-wire my nest unit correctly) and then snow, all in like 7 day span.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote:
April 16 20, 9:48 am
@IMADreamer Ugh, that sucks man. I hope it turns out better than it sounds. How soon will you be able to tell?
I'll have a good idea if it comes up in about a week. We won't know yield for until later in the summer.