Random musings

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Random musings

Post by CardsofSTL »

mikechamp wrote:
June 22 21, 2:18 pm
I've heard Hawaiian shirts are the fashion trend this summer. I happened to get one for Father's Day.

Yet Hawaiian shirts are also associated with the Boogaloo Boyz, and I want nothing to do with them.

So, my question to the universe is: Is this the fashion industry's way of hijacking the BB's "uniform", kind of like K-Pop fans hijack hashtags on social media from time to time... OR... is the fashion industry tone-deaf when it comes to news/world events?

If it's the former, I might wear it. If it's the latter, that shirt will stay in my closet, with the tags still on it, for a couple years (at least).
Hawaiian shirts are popular every few years; then they fade and then they come back. Like most things. I have one and I look cool as hell when I wear it.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
June 22 21, 7:17 am
IMADreamer wrote:
June 21 21, 9:09 pm
I'm having one of those just barely hanging on by a thread days.
Sorry to hear IMA. Hope today is better.
Thanks Joe, today was better. I've just been struggling some lately. It's one of those situations where there is no real reason but the anxiety is there. Most days are really good though.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

CardsofSTL wrote:
June 22 21, 2:27 pm
mikechamp wrote:
I've heard Hawaiian shirts are the fashion trend this summer. I happened to get one for Father's Day.

Yet Hawaiian shirts are also associated with the Boogaloo Boyz, and I want nothing to do with them.

So, my question to the universe is: Is this the fashion industry's way of hijacking the BB's "uniform", kind of like K-Pop fans hijack hashtags on social media from time to time... OR... is the fashion industry tone-deaf when it comes to news/world events?

If it's the former, I might wear it. If it's the latter, that shirt will stay in my closet, with the tags still on it, for a couple years (at least).
Hawaiian shirts are popular every few years; then they fade and then they come back. Like most things. I have one and I look cool as hell when I wear it.
Walk around wearing that and sipping a can of Dr. Pepper, and you are golden.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Leroy wrote:
June 29 21, 9:40 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
June 22 21, 2:27 pm
mikechamp wrote:

Walk around wearing that and sipping a can of Dr. Pepper, and you are golden.
Dr Pepper Zero man... It's 2021.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Well, you are not wrong. That stuff is great.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

IMADreamer wrote:
June 22 21, 7:59 pm
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Thanks Joe, today was better. I've just been struggling some lately. It's one of those situations where there is no real reason but the anxiety is there. Most days are really good though.
Do you think this is a symptom of your COVID long-haul syndrome? If it persists, maybe talk to your doc!?

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote:
June 29 21, 2:41 pm
IMADreamer wrote:
June 22 21, 7:59 pm
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Do you think this is a symptom of your COVID long-haul syndrome? If it persists, maybe talk to your doc!?
I suspect that it could be, but it could also be CTE. Not that I am diagnosing myself with it but it's a conversation my doctor and I have had before. To get into things probably way more than you guys are interested.

My doctor and I grew up together, he's the smartest guy I know, so when he came home to practice I switched to him. (my old doctor retired and he replaced her). Anyway, two years ago in the heart of everything in my life going great I woke up one morning a mess. So anxious I couldn't bring myself to go out the door, crying, etc. It came out of no where and for no reason I can think of. Needless to say my wife, then gf, was adamant about me going to the doctor and she drove me there. My doctor was great and we had a long conversation about things that I remember none of it. A few weeks later when we were at dinner he said to me "that was one of the scariest things I've seen as a doctor. You came in my office a hollowed out shell of yourself, and I'd just seen you two days earlier and you were the happy go lucky guy you always are."

Long story short over the course of the last couple years, I've battled it. I've had five concussions that I know of in my life, and two were big ones. One of those took me two weeks to basically be functional again, and over a year before I felt "normal." The unfortunate thing is you can't actually diagnose CTE unless you are dead. It's something my doctor suspects though, so much that he has talked to some experts on the subject about it because of me. I'm fitting the bill for a lot of it. Memory loss, lack of organizational skills (recent development not a lifelong thing), some motor function problems, such as I'm dealing with some hand eye coordination issues and trouble hanging on to things and the onset of anxiety that was never there at this level.

Anyway, it could be that or it could be covid. I do know that since having covid I've had a mental decline. I have trouble finding words to complete thoughts, I have random dizzy spells, and will spike a fever out of no where. For example yesterday I was running a 101.9 fever for no reason at all. It's really odd. Mentally I'm fine most days, but when it all comes crashing down it's rough and while a panic attack or whatever it is may only last a half hour or an hour is basically shuts me down for a day or two. It just wipes me out.

It's all something we are keeping an eye on, but really there isn't anything you can do about any of it.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Damn dude! That sounds rough. I hope it's trending in the right direction. Glad you have good support!

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Sorry to hear IMA.

Thanks for sharing. I have had several concussions over the years and a couple of bad ones myself. As I get older and within the last couple of years, anxiety has hit me like never before.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

beefcake is an odd word