darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Deadspin

Post by lukethedrifter »

fisking?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

IMADreamer wrote:It's like all the other Gawker sites. Childish and terrible. Jalopnik used to be a really great car site. A bit quirky but good. Then Gawker bought them out and it just turned to crap. All the good writers left to start their own sites and now Jalopnik reads like a Jr. High lunch room.
io9 is still pretty good.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

ghostrunner wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:It's like all the other Gawker sites. Childish and terrible. Jalopnik used to be a really great car site. A bit quirky but good. Then Gawker bought them out and it just turned to crap. All the good writers left to start their own sites and now Jalopnik reads like a Jr. High lunch room.
io9 is still pretty good.
agreed on this--it's the only place on the internet where the comments are just as informative and interesting as the articles/blog posts.

jezebel, i'm convinced is the worst website on the internet.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i had a period in my early 20s where i thought that perezhilton was a funny site. i think its what made me hate society.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

and this is one of the reasons why i do like deadspin even though its not sports related:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/rainbo ... 1592575661

this had me rolling.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

go birds wrote:and this is one of the reasons why i do like deadspin even though its not sports related:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/rainbo ... 1592575661

this had me rolling.
That's Burneko for you. If you ever want to kill some time just click on any random thing from his foodspin archive and get ready to laugh your ass off (and learn some stuff too). I kind of wish he would write about other stuff but that might ruin it.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

lukethedrifter wrote:fisking?
Like what Fire Joe Morgan used to do, taking an article and ripping it apart, paragraph by paragraph. It's good when it's effective and entertaining, but reading some variation of ZOMG NATIONAL WRITER HAS NEVER HEARD OF FIP a hundred times over makes it suck.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

cardsfansince82 wrote:Most of their best talent has moved on to other things, so I assume they don't pay very well. The only decent writers left are Magary and Burnenko, and Ley on occasion. Unfortunately the vast majority of their content now isn't original at all, contains no actual writing, and is posted by J school flunk outs like Newell and Kalaf. Some of the user blogs are pretty good too, but I wouldn't give deadspin credit for that. I still go there daily to find some funny or interesting stuff to kill time, but it's not nearly as interesting as it used to be.
I think this sums it up really well.

I do think that Deadspin is kind of like The Onion, though, in that it's very useful for pointing out the buffoonishness and hyperbole and self-serving BS present in a lot of mainstream media coverage of sports. Sometimes they go too far to point out petty BS like the OP here.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

well they certainly wasted no time this year

http://deadsp.in/FoQys7d

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Schlich wrote:well they certainly wasted no time this year

http://deadsp.in/FoQys7d
Jesus, that Nightengale column makes me hate them too.