Deadspin

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
User avatar
Famous Mortimer
All-Star
Posts: 2460
Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Location: Cherokee

Re: Deadspin

Post by Famous Mortimer »

MrSaigon wrote:
Kyle Kinane is just like, it’s dangerous when you’re a teenager, it’s interesting in college and after that you’re just a drip … after that you’re just a drip that ruins parties by starting everything with, “You seem like an intelligent person”
Fixed that for you. Nothing beats a straw man argument against atheism from a low-grade hack of a comedian!

But yes, Deadspin is pretty bad now.

User avatar
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 25357
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: Deadspin

Post by ghostrunner »

MrSaigon wrote:Image

This is what Deadspin is good for.

I just got so super tired of the ESPN policery, TMZ of sports, and condescension. I was also very turned off a few years ago when they were demanding that NFL guy come out.
I agree. It's best when it's focusing on inconsequential fluff and recognizes it as such. Occasionally it wanders into doing a public service (Ray Rice, for example).

That attempt a few years ago to paint everyone at ESPN as a sex addict really soured me on them. Something so inconsequential and they acted like it was some righteous crusade.

User avatar
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 25357
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: Deadspin

Post by ghostrunner »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:
Kyle Kinane is just like, it’s dangerous when you’re a teenager, it’s interesting in college and after that you’re just a drip … after that you’re just a drip that ruins parties by starting everything with, “You seem like an intelligent person”
Fixed that for you. Nothing beats a straw man argument against atheism from a low-grade hack of a comedian!

But yes, Deadspin is pretty bad now.
I'm an atheist and I feel that way about a lot of atheists.

MrSaigon

Re: Deadspin

Post by MrSaigon »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:
Kyle Kinane is just like, it’s dangerous when you’re a teenager, it’s interesting in college and after that you’re just a drip … after that you’re just a drip that ruins parties by starting everything with, “You seem like an intelligent person”
Fixed that for you. Nothing beats a straw man argument against atheism from a low-grade hack of a comedian!

But yes, Deadspin is pretty bad now.
Kyle Kinane is one of my favorites right now, I really think he's great.

The atheism thing may feel like me trying to pound a square peg I really like into any hole I can find, but this is a place my mind goes when thinking of Deadspin, similar to a certain breed of atheists: "Everyone/everything/every worldview is stupid except for me/mine." And I think Kinane's quote works beyond that as well. It was interesting for a while to challenge the cliches, the instigators, the arrogant and the too comfortable in sports coverage. It's just gotten so tiresome.

Here's another unrelated bit from Kinane that cracks me up and also hits a sweet spot for me:
I'm guaranteeing there's no one in Saigon saying 'It's pronounced "meatball sandwich" don't be culturally insensitive.' So I'm going to continue supporting the Vietnamese community by eating pho all the time instead of just correcting people's pronunciation of it. You think about that when you crash your fixed-gear bicycle on the way home.
Last edited by MrSaigon on March 11 15, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 28956
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: extremely online

Re: Deadspin

Post by thrill »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Nothing beats a straw man argument against atheism from a low-grade hack of a comedian!
Kyle Kinane is neither low-grade nor a hack.
One thing as bad as straw man arguments against atheism from low-grade hacks is self-congratulatory narcissism from atheist hacks like Ricky Gervais.

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 30451
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Deadspin

Post by go birds »

http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/the-st-l ... /+marchman

Now jezebel, part of the same Gawker Media deadspin belongs to, is getting in on the St. Louis hate
Just remember, St. Louis: you brought this upon yourself — or at least whoever wrote that Wikipedia entry did.
Wouldn't be surprised to find someone from deadspin wrote/edited the wikipedia entry.

User avatar
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!
Posts: 10586
Joined: July 1 06, 7:24 pm
Location: Lost in the Cloud

Re: Deadspin

Post by Schlich »

Good god I couldn't even finish that.

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 30451
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Deadspin

Post by go birds »

yea i read about 1/3 of it then shot right to the comments because im a sadist

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20013
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Deadspin

Post by haltz »

I laughed at this, that's about it.
Rob: St. Louis BBQ: We boil our sauce and destroy our meat in it, GO CARDS.

User avatar
CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master
Posts: 24605
Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Deadspin

Post by CardsofSTL »

Deadspin might hate the Cardinals but they seem to like the Blues

Post Reply