Rant/Rave: Bourbon

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: Rant/Rave: Bourbon

Post by 33anda3rd »

Ah, wow, I didn't get the whole story I guess. I'm not at all interested in craft vodka, but I'd love to try the rum. It's not being sold at Binny's, so I'll have to dig. Thanks!

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Anyone had Jefferson’s Ocean? I just heard about it and want to try a glass. Not cheap though.
This bourbon started out as an experiment with just three bourbon barrels on Trey’s friend, Chris Fischer of OCEARCH’s ship, in a curious effort to discover what would happen if bourbon was left to weather the extreme elements: temperature fluctuations, salt air and the gentle rocking of the ship. The result was a thick, dark bourbon that showcases complex flavors reminiscent of other spirits; the almost black color and caramel flavors resemble a dark rum as the sugars within the barrels caramelized; the briny, savory taste from the barrels breathing the sea air is reminiscent of Islay Scotch; and at its core, it’s a true bourbon. Due to a massive demand from consumers, Trey has now commercialized this experiment and sent hundreds of barrels around the world. Each voyage of Jefferson’s Ocean typically crosses the equator four times, visits five continents and over 30 ports on an average sailing.
http://jeffersonsbourbon.com/jeffersons-ocean/

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

I've always thought that it's just kind of meh and an overpriced gimmick.

The article you linked mentions rum. The best one for what you're talking about is Plantation Rum, owned and blended by Alexandre Gabriel at Maison Ferrand. All their rums are distilled in the Caribbean--largely at West Indies Rum Distillery (Barbados) which they own, or Long Pond (Jamaica) that they own part of, or Clarendon (also Jamaica), but they also source rum from Trinidad, Peru, Guatemala, Panama, and more--and then after aging for a specified time in the Caribbean or their origin country the barrels go on a boat to France. There, they get dumped and then barreled again, this time in a Ferrand barrel, either Cognac, Curacao or Pineau des Charentes generally but Alexandre works with places to source barrels as varied as Willett, Mackmyra, and Tequila Ocho to finish his products.

What results sometimes is, say, a Single Cask Vintage-Dated 100-proof Guatemalan Rum aged 12 years in ex-bourbon, taken across the ocean, aged another year in a Ferrand Cognac barrel, then finished for 6 months in a Amburana cask then put on a shelf at $54.99.

If you saw a bottle of bourbon that was a Single Barrel 100-Proof 13.5 Year Old Four Roses That Sailed The Seas And Spent An Extra Year In A Cognac Barrel Then Six Months In Expensive Brazilian Wood That Was Stamped As "Distilled In 1995" And "Bottle #071", how much would you expect to go on that thing? $500 MSRP? $700 MSRP? $5000 on the secondary market? We can get that in rum for under $60.

All Plantation rums are double-casked and take a boat ride. A regular ol' bottle of Plantation Original Dark, which is delicious, is like $20. You can achieve the result of a spirit aged at sea for a lot less--and IMO via a product that's best-in-class--than that Jefferson's.

Rum is the best value in spirits right now.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Kind of figured it was a gimmick and I don't want to buy a $70 bottle to find out. A place out here sells Jefferson’s and I stopped in for a glass, but they didn't have the Ocean. Bartender says he gets asked about it so maybe they'll eventually get one.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Lipp, I apologize I don't remember which part of the country you're in. If you're in St. Louis, it was on the menu at Small Batch fairly recently.

Side question: Journeyman. Saw it on every menu in St. Louis. They're based not far from here and I have (shocking) strong opinions. Anybody like any of their whiskies?

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I have not tried Journeyman. TBH I have not even noticed it anywhere.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

33anda3rd wrote:Lipp, I apologize I don't remember which part of the country you're in. If you're in St. Louis, it was on the menu at Small Batch fairly recently.

Side question: Journeyman. Saw it on every menu in St. Louis. They're based not far from here and I have (shocking) strong opinions. Anybody like any of their whiskies?
I'm in DeKalb. I'll probably have to head to the suburbs to find it somewhere.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Lipp, I apologize I don't remember which part of the country you're in. If you're in St. Louis, it was on the menu at Small Batch fairly recently.

DeKalb IL or MO?

If IL, do you like Whiskey Acres?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

33anda3rd wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:

DeKalb IL or MO?

We’ve been together for more than a decade. Cmon. DeKalb, Nebraska.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

33anda3rd wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:

DeKalb IL or MO?

I think it's just OK. I drink it at fundraisers that are hosted out there and it's fine. I don't buy it from the store or at bars though. Have you had it?