Rant/Rave: Bourbon

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Rant/Rave: Bourbon

Post by lukethedrifter »

Swirls wrote:Big fire at one of Jim Beam's rickhouses today...
Huge fire. Kentucky River flowing whiskey.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Got a bottle of EH Taylor Single Barrel Bottled in Bond for my bday, but I have no idea what to do with it. Too fire to sip and seems like a waste to water it down. Did add half a shot or so to my spray for ribs yesterday along with simple syrup then put that on ice after I was done with the spray and it was pretty good. But, again, seems like a waste to mix such an expensive bourbon. Any recommendations?

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I’m no expert but the guy at Randall’s said pour out your drink, give it some air/time, drops of distilled water one drop at a time to taste.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Got a bottle of EH Taylor Single Barrel Bottled in Bond for my bday, but I have no idea what to do with it. Too fire to sip and seems like a waste to water it down. Did add half a shot or so to my spray for ribs yesterday along with simple syrup then put that on ice after I was done with the spray and it was pretty good. But, again, seems like a waste to mix such an expensive bourbon. Any recommendations?
Diet coke.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Michael wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Got a bottle of EH Taylor Single Barrel Bottled in Bond for my bday, but I have no idea what to do with it. Too fire to sip and seems like a waste to water it down. Did add half a shot or so to my spray for ribs yesterday along with simple syrup then put that on ice after I was done with the spray and it was pretty good. But, again, seems like a waste to mix such an expensive bourbon. Any recommendations?
Diet coke.
Blasphemer.

What Luke said. Pour it, let it sit for 10 min. It's only BIB, not barrel proof, so it shouldn't be that hot. Add a drop of water until it's where you like it.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

lukethedrifter wrote:I’m no expert but the guy at Randall’s said pour out your drink, give it some air/time, drops of distilled water one drop at a time to taste.
Thanks.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

33anda3rd wrote: What Luke said. Pour it, let it sit for 10 min. It's only BIB, not barrel proof, so it shouldn't be that hot. Add a drop of water until it's where you like it.
It gets hotter than BIB? Sheesh. That’s plenty for me.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote: What Luke said. Pour it, let it sit for 10 min. It's only BIB, not barrel proof, so it shouldn't be that hot. Add a drop of water until it's where you like it.
It gets hotter than BIB? Sheesh. That’s plenty for me.
Sure. Stagg Jr. is prob the most famous and a good one. Elijah Craig Barrel Proof sometimes soars, often stinks. Makers Cask Strength is consistently excellent, and easy to find and relatively affordable for this category. Bookers is good, Rare Turkey Wild Breed is good. Old Grand Dad 114 proof is probably my favorite in the bunch and now that Heaven Hill 6 Year BIB has been discontinued is my most-frequent home sipper. Noah's MIll is great, anything Willett Family Estate is worth buying if not to sip then to flip on the internet for big bucks. Small batch Knob at 120 proof is pretty delicious. There's a Col EH Taylor Barrel Proof in addition to the Small Batch BIB, it's ok.

And probably the most hotly anticipated new label of 2019 will be the blue label WL Weller Full Proof. 114 proof, the same as William Larue Weller's original bourbon, and non chill-filtered.

The Makers Cask Strength is a great pivot off the Weller when you can't find it, especially if you get a store pick from someone. Mr Samuels when he re-started the family biz at Makers--and he started decades after Prohibition had ended, re-entering relatively late--he went to Pappy and said "teach me how you make your wheated whiskey, that's how I want my whiskey to taste" and Pappy did just that. Then Mr Samuels made that style of wheated whiskey at Makers. It's a terribly underrated brand, smooth and easy to drink and the cask strength is full of flavor.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

33anda3rd wrote: Stagg Jr.
Punch you in the face flavor. It's fantastic.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Rave: Heaven Hill is resuscitating the Heaven Hill label. They're not just bringing back the 6 year, they're launching a 7 year.

Rant: The 6 was $12.49 at the Liquor Barn in Louisville. The 7 year will be $40--I believe that's retail--and will be available in only four states to start. I guess that's not really a full rant, 7 year old Bottled In Bond is a fine value at $40.