CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Rant/Rave: Bourbon

Post by CardsofSTL »

sighyoung wrote:
June 24 21, 1:31 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:
June 23 21, 4:48 pm
Thinking about my first trip to Bourbon Trail this fall. Recommendations? Stay in/near Bardstown or in Louisville? Which distilleries are must-see vs others?
While I haven't been on the Bourbon Trail, I've had friends who have done parts of it. Based on what they said, I'd stay in Louisville: there's more to do/places to eat in Louisville (and some stops downtown) than in Bardstown, and it's easy to drive out there and back.
I only went to the Frankfort area distilleries when I was down there for a friend's wedding. Woodford Reserve was the most interesting to me. But I only visited.. Three I think? Maybe get a list and see how many you want to visit and that might help with planning for accommodations as well. But Louisville is definitely the better place to stay if you want some options as Sigh pointed out.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

GeddyWrox wrote:
Thinking about my first trip to Bourbon Trail this fall. Recommendations? Stay in/near Bardstown or in Louisville? Which distilleries are must-see vs others?
I was driving from ~Pittsburgh, PA to Little Rock one time which took me through Bardstown. Got on the Blue Grass Pkwy (?) and saw Bardstown was along it so figured i'd stop there for the night without doing much due diligence. Driving through, figured I'd see a few signs along the highway for hotels. I didn't. Had ot pull out my phone and ended up at a dump of a motel around 2 am, got a cup of coffee around 6 am at the adjacent dump of a gas station and gtfo of there.

Not saying I saw the best of it, but Bardstown didn't strike me as a tourist destination. Looking at google earth, I don't think I'm wrong.

Louisville is an awesome city in it's own right with a ton to do/see and can't be but an hour drive or so from Bardstown.

Re: distilleries and the Bourbon Trail, IDK anything about them.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
June 24 21, 3:12 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:
I was driving from ~Pittsburgh, PA to Little Rock one time which took me through Bardstown. Got on the Blue Grass Pkwy (?) and saw Bardstown was along it so figured i'd stop there for the night without doing much due diligence. Driving through, figured I'd see a few signs along the highway for hotels. I didn't. Had ot pull out my phone and ended up at a dump of a motel around 2 am, got a cup of coffee around 6 am at the adjacent dump of a gas station and gtfo of there.

Not saying I saw the best of it, but Bardstown didn't strike me as a tourist destination. Looking at google earth, I don't think I'm wrong.

Louisville is an awesome city in it's own right with a ton to do/see and can't be but an hour drive or so from Bardstown.

Elitist talk.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
June 24 21, 3:16 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
June 24 21, 3:12 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:

Elitist talk.
I am nothing if not elite.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

GeddyWrox wrote:
This old Louisville thread had lots of suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64047

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Thanks Sigh! I'll read through that today!

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

GeddyWrox wrote:
July 12 21, 7:14 am
Thanks Sigh! I'll read through that today!
I should note that some of the restaurants mentioned in 2019 have closed due to the pandemic, but the big restaurant rows (Bardstown Road, Frankfort Avenue in the Clifton and Crescent Hill neighborhoods, the NuLu neighborhood on East Market) are still rolling, and there are lots of other choices, depending upon where you stay or where you want to go, including some downtown, in Old Louisville, Germantown, South Louisville (Vietnam Kitchen), and along or near Barret Avenue just off of Broadway.

There are also restaurants farther out along Shelbyville Road and Hurstbourne Parkway, but those streets are often hectic at rush hour and have a strong strip-mall vibe that I don't like.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I did my bourbon trail trip last week and had a great time. And I had the distinct pleasure of meeting up with Sigh for the second time. He truly is a gentleman and a scholar!!!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

GeddyWrox wrote:
October 4 21, 3:50 pm
I did my bourbon trail trip last week and had a great time. And I had the distinct pleasure of meeting up with Sigh for the second time. He truly is a gentleman and a scholar!!!
The hell are all the samples?