Rant: home improvement shows

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Re: Rant: home improvement shows

Post by TimeForGuinness »

My "favorite" is when they want the charm of an old house that has been updated...which basically means "gutting the entire house and everything that was charming about it, except that one fixture that we'll design the entire house around"...pocket doors? screw that, let's get rid of them and do a sliding barn door...kill me.

...seriously, just go build a new house, it'd probably be cheaper.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

TimeForGuinness wrote:My "favorite" is when they want the charm of an old house that has been updated...which basically means "gutting the entire house and everything that was charming about it, except that one fixture that we'll design the entire house around"...pocket doors? screw that, let's get rid of them and do a sliding barn door...kill me.

...seriously, just go build a new house, it'd probably be cheaper.
This.

On the flip side, I enjoy shows like salvage dawgs, which my wife showed me today.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

UK wrote:Love it or list it is a microcosm why you might be better off single.
Every single episode of that show is the same.

One person has an almost unhealthy attachment to either keeping or getting rid of the house.
The British lady designer faces unsurmountable odds.
Some kind of unexpected thing pops up during renovation.
The bald construction guy and the British lady have some odd sexual chemistry moment.
The realtor guy says 'I got you...' over and over. I got you the office you wanted. I got you the upstairs laundry room so Sheila doesn't have to go to the basement anymore. I got you the garage. He also calls the master crapper in each house an 'en suite' til I want to fight him.
The person with the unhealthy attachment to the decision at the beginning caves and the other person gets what they want.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

33anda3rd wrote:

One person has an almost unhealthy attachment to either keeping or getting rid of the house.
The bald construction guy and the British lady have some odd sexual chemistry moment.
The realtor guy says 'I got you...' over and over. I got you the office you wanted. I got you the upstairs laundry room so Sheila doesn't have to go to the basement anymore. I got you the garage. He also calls the master crapper in each house an 'en suite' til I want to fight him.
The person with the unhealthy attachment to the decision at the beginning caves and the other person gets what they want.
And don't forget the bald guy showing them a house they absolutely hate because he went off script on them! Always.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

We were watching House Hunters Renovation this weekend at my in-laws house. They had a couple who found out there was an issue with the galvanized plumbing that would cost about $5,000. Cue "we just don't have that in our budget!"

But... You had three thousand dollars for some stupid barn door and kitchen bench?!

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Popeye_Card wrote:I just don't like how 99% of the shows that are supposed to be about home improvement projects (as opposed to just real estate, like House Hunters) don't teach jack squat about actually doing home improvement. They are all about whatever personality is the star of that show, and wow! at the end of the show the house/room/whatever is so beautiful! Couldn't they at least have a few shows that still give details about how to do projects?
There's a show produced in Canada that I can't get on Charter anymore called Holmes on Homes. He's a contractor who comes into peoples houses and fixes the things that have gone horribly wrong with other contractors. I loved this show, largely because he really focused on how to spot and fix REAL issues. I really wish this show would come back on one of the channels I actually have.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Just an opinion, but I doubt many people would be interested in a home improvement show that focuses on how to fix things. I would, and I'm sure a few other people would, but it's got to be a small subset of the population. On the bright side, there are videos of just about any DIY project under the sun on youtube. To be honest, i don't know how people did stuff on their own before youtube existed...I would have been up [expletive] creek without a paddle many a time. And, for the record, no I don't plan out my projects all that well. I just start tearing stuff up and figure out how to fix it later.

edited to say: looks like that holmes on homes guy is on youtube too.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Nice!

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:

And don't forget the bald guy showing them a house they absolutely hate because he went off script on them! Always.
Absolutely the worst show on TV, imho.