Superorganism
Veteran Player

Re: Life changes

Post by Superorganism »

TGantz wrote:
February 26 22, 7:19 am
TGantz wrote:
August 4 16, 2:42 pm
I'm getting married in February. We've been together for four years. We met at the school for children with autism where we both worked. She's a music therapist, and runs a day program for adults with disabilities.

Also, I'm transferring to a different department. For the past year I've been managing several group homes. It's been on call 24/7 for the past year, and I simply can't do it anymore. 60+ hr work week was the norm, and a lot of covering shifts myself due to staffing shortages, including awake overnights. I'm transferring to the Pre-employment department where I will work with adults with disabilities developing job skills with the goal being gainful employment.

I'm sad about GRB, but excited about the future.
I don't remember making this post at all. We just had our five year anniversary yesterday. We have a daughter now, and she is my world. We have a house, but I'm trying to move us into a house with some land. I've had 4 different positions since this post. I left that job after a year to do sales for a year and try something outside of non profit world. I hated working for the man so I went back to managing group homes. Left the company I had worked at for 8+ years and joined a different non profit managing group homes.

I started fishing and hunting more, started getting my family out in nature more. My life has changed dramatically in five years. I wonder what it will look like in another 5!
A long way from Dr Pepper. Congrats.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I have survived nearly 8 months of this truck driving thing! Signed a lease back in January and am now working for myself contracted to Stevens Transport. Better money and freedom to do whatever I want but also the responsibility of paying for everything, lol.

Been meaning to pop back in here many times before but I was having trouble with connection speeds tethered to my phone at times since I spend a lot of time parked in the middle of nowhere without the best signal on my phone. And I tried installing PDANet which I was told multiple times would speed things up for me but it didn't. Not only would it not work but it broke my connection completely on the laptop. I finally managed to get it all fixed last night though. I literally could not get to this site or a few others. Took me awhile to figure out how to fix the issues because I could still get to some places on the Internet but not everywhere. It was really weird. I finally just found the option to uninstall and reinstall the network hardware and that seems to have fixed it all.

I'll be back to posting updates much more regularly now. I have seen a lot of cool stuff. Had some great drives. Got to spend some time in NYC and see some of Manhattan, Broadway and Times Square while on the job. Caught an Isotopes game against the Sacramento River Cats the end of April in New Mexico. Trying to get to Dallas now so I can start the process to train new drivers for the company (ones that have their CDL already) and then I'll have a little more free time while the trainee is driving as well as getting PAID the big bucks. Only get $200 extra a week when I have a trainee but I still get paid for the miles no matter which one of us is driving and we can cover a lot more ground with two drivers. The last couple of weeks on my trainer's truck he was clearing between $4,000 and 4,500 every week. That was also before we got a rate increase of seven cents a mile plus an extra three cents a mile on top of that and they also started the extra $200 a since then.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

As I was driving around the upper Midwest recently, I thought of you and wondered how things were going.

Glad you are still alive. Looking forward to reading more about your travels.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

$4000 a week? Not too shabby, my friend!

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

heyzeus wrote:
June 7 22, 9:03 am
$4000 a week? Not too shabby, my friend!
Yeah, I'm in the wrong business.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

My wife and I are edging closer to being empty-nesters. My daughter is traveling out of the country for the first time (she'll be in Colombia for three weeks) and when my son moves out in late July and my daughter heads back to college in August, that will be that. Of course, their junk will still be at home, and my daughter won't be completely gone, but they're sprouting their wings.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

sighyoung wrote:
June 8 22, 11:58 am
My wife and I are edging closer to being empty-nesters. My daughter is traveling out of the country for the first time (she'll be in Colombia for three weeks) and when my son moves out in late July and my daughter heads back to college in August, that will be that. Of course, their junk will still be at home, and my daughter won't be completely gone, but they're sprouting their wings.
My take-away on this is that sigh has spare beds if anyone needs a place to crash.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

CardsofSTL wrote:
June 8 22, 1:28 pm
sighyoung wrote:
My take-away on this is that sigh has spare beds if anyone needs a place to crash.
I was thinking house party.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

obucard wrote:
June 8 22, 2:06 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
Last stop on the Bourbon Trail.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

sighyoung wrote:
June 8 22, 3:36 pm
obucard wrote:
June 8 22, 2:06 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
sighyoung wrote:
Last stop on the Bourbon Trail.
I highly recommend this.

Both the bourbon trail, and the "last stop" :-D