Life changes

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Life changes

Post by GeddyWrox »

I'm pretty sure I helped @planet planet pad her recruiting numbers back in the day with a good friend of mine, too. LOL

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

GeddyWrox wrote:
October 8 21, 1:47 pm
He's not the first person from this board I've been directly responsible for getting them a job! @JCShutout and I worked together for a year or two at a place in Chesterfield, too. Although he didn't report to me.
That job enabled me to scrape by grad school with minimal added debt. It was and still is, so very appreciated.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

JCShutout wrote:
October 9 21, 1:31 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:
October 8 21, 1:47 pm
He's not the first person from this board I've been directly responsible for getting them a job! @JCShutout and I worked together for a year or two at a place in Chesterfield, too. Although he didn't report to me.
That job enabled me to scrape by grad school with minimal added debt. It was and still is, so very appreciated.
Always happy to help good people 😎

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

st.lewis11 wrote:
September 26 21, 7:48 am
I've been in the midst of a large change myself, but didn't want to derail this thread of tlombard's experiences. Although my 401k was building to a nice sum, I knew it's not nearly enough for retirement here in California. By chance at beginning of this year, I was on realtor.com, was shocked looking at houses in southern Illinois, where I grew up. What I first saw, were very nice houses at 1/10th of what it would've costed out in CA. In April, I bought a house in the very town I grew up in (with research help from residents there who were great friends of my parents). I visited twice, then gave my employer a long notice in May. I trained my replacements for several months, then left my job 2 weeks ago, & the folks at work gave me a nice send-off party. I have my place until the end of the month, so I'll be on the road later this week, moving to my new home in southern IL. That's my short version, I'll provide more details later.
Welp....I'm now a southern Illinois resident, living in my house in small town about 45 minutes from St. Louis. Had to wait on the movers for more than 3 weeks, just received my belongings early last week. Still organizing here, but it's starting to look like a home. Feeling very good about my decision, knowing I guaranteed a "roof over my head" for the rest of my life.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

st.lewis11 wrote:
November 2 21, 10:31 am
st.lewis11 wrote:
September 26 21, 7:48 am
I've been in the midst of a large change myself, but didn't want to derail this thread of tlombard's experiences. Although my 401k was building to a nice sum, I knew it's not nearly enough for retirement here in California. By chance at beginning of this year, I was on realtor.com, was shocked looking at houses in southern Illinois, where I grew up. What I first saw, were very nice houses at 1/10th of what it would've costed out in CA. In April, I bought a house in the very town I grew up in (with research help from residents there who were great friends of my parents). I visited twice, then gave my employer a long notice in May. I trained my replacements for several months, then left my job 2 weeks ago, & the folks at work gave me a nice send-off party. I have my place until the end of the month, so I'll be on the road later this week, moving to my new home in southern IL. That's my short version, I'll provide more details later.
Welp....I'm now a southern Illinois resident, living in my house in small town about 45 minutes from St. Louis. Had to wait on the movers for more than 3 weeks, just received my belongings early last week. Still organizing here, but it's starting to look like a home. Feeling very good about my decision, knowing I guaranteed a "roof over my head" for the rest of my life.
Congrats on the move! What town do you live in? My grampa grew up in Royalton, Illinois. They ran the movie theater there. This would've been like the 1920s or 30s. My parents went back there some time back and there was still the old theater building that said "Inger" at the top, which was his name.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

My town is Marissa, where route 13 & route 4 intersect. Not sure I'd ever been to Royalton, but my dad grew up in West Frankfort, which seems nearby there

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

st.lewis11 wrote:
November 2 21, 11:02 am
My town is Marissa, where route 13 & route 4 intersect. Not sure I'd ever been to Royalton, but my dad grew up in West Frankfort, which seems nearby there
So I just spent a few minutes on google street view, and found my great-grandpa's movie theater in Royalton. It still says Inger at the top, amazingly, because I believe that theater has now been closed for 80 years.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8783898 ... 312!8i6656

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

simpler times

fungusboi
Single A Minor League Player

Post by fungusboi »

Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

st.lewis11 wrote:
November 2 21, 11:02 am
I have bought gas at the Casey's in Marissa before so we're practically best friends.