Life changes

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Life changes

Post by Socnorb11 »

I love being able to live vicariously as a truck driver. Thanks for posting, tlombard!

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

Yeah, that drive up the coast sounds wonderful. I'm getting ready to travel from Mattoon to Peoria in the sleet...

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

tlombard wrote:
February 23 22, 8:05 pm
Once I get to Washington tomorrow morning, the last states that I need to get to are Idaho, Montana, the Dakotas, Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont and Arkansas (odd I haven't ended up there somehow). I have driven through every other state in the continental US since September though.
Damn. That’s a lot of territory in not much time. It look at least a decade of long family road trip vacations for me to cover 48.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Thanks for checking in, Lombard! Don't join any treasonous convoys plz.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Favorite state so far?

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

TGantz wrote:
August 4 16, 2:42 pm
I'm getting married in February. We've been together for four years. We met at the school for children with autism where we both worked. She's a music therapist, and runs a day program for adults with disabilities.

Also, I'm transferring to a different department. For the past year I've been managing several group homes. It's been on call 24/7 for the past year, and I simply can't do it anymore. 60+ hr work week was the norm, and a lot of covering shifts myself due to staffing shortages, including awake overnights. I'm transferring to the Pre-employment department where I will work with adults with disabilities developing job skills with the goal being gainful employment.

I'm sad about GRB, but excited about the future.
I don't remember making this post at all. We just had our five year anniversary yesterday. We have a daughter now, and she is my world. We have a house, but I'm trying to move us into a house with some land. I've had 4 different positions since this post. I left that job after a year to do sales for a year and try something outside of non profit world. I hated working for the man so I went back to managing group homes. Left the company I had worked at for 8+ years and joined a different non profit managing group homes.

I started fishing and hunting more, started getting my family out in nature more. My life has changed dramatically in five years. I wonder what it will look like in another 5!

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

No treasonous convoys for me. I keep seeing that stuff all over social media but anytime I ever talk to another driver, it sure doesn't come up. It seems to be just a thing for nutjob drivers on the Internet and people who only watch Fox News.

I actually stopped at a Loves about 50 or 60 miles short of Eugene the other night. Beautiful area. And then Thursday morning I got stuck behind an accident on I-5 just into Washington and that was after passing by three previous accidents. At that point I decided to get off at the next exit and shut down until the weather cleared... but then I sat there for four hours without moving and by the time we finally started creeping ahead the snow had stopped, the sun was out and it was a beautiful day and the highway was clear so I just kept going. Of course I missed my first delivery slot and they couldn't get me in until 4am on Friday. I was supposed to make my second drop at 3am on Friday in Spokane so that didn't work. My appointment in Spokane got moved to Monday at 4am. I eventually made my delivery in Auburn, WA and drove the rest of the way to Spokane and good lord there was a lot more amazing sights on the way there. Unfortunately I have been sitting at a Petro off exit 272 on I-90 since Friday afternoon. Luckily my DM said that since missing the appointment wasn't my fault, he is able to get me lost revenue pay and I'm getting paid to hang out here! I figured I should at least check out something in town so I went to the US Track and Field Indoor Nationals yesterday at The Podium here in town. It was interesting. Today would have been the better day to go with all of the finals and more exciting events but it was all sold out. I enjoyed it though. I have to say that the pole vaulting was by far the best event to watch. The speed in the track events was impressive and so was the high jump, long jump, etc. but the pole vault was just fun. They should have put more focus on that if you ask me. And then I had dinner at The Bark which is a combination restaurant/pet adoption place. I guess they are connected to the Humane Society and part of their proceeds go to that. The food was really good but I had to stay away from the pet portion or else there would be a dog on the truck with me right now. Not sure how I would have gotten back to the truck with one but I would have figured something out.

I still have a ton of pictures and time lapse videos that I want to get uploaded but I'm still fighting the speed issue with getting things uploaded. I used to use PdaNet back in the day before wi-fi hotspots were common and I am told that you can get much better speeds these days by USB tethering with your phone so I'm working on that. I'm just having trouble getting the client I need on the laptop to install. It just isn't going anywhere when I try and download it on my laptop and when I download it on my phone, it just won't let me copy it over to Windows. It has to be something simple but I'm at a complete loss right now.

Update: I finally managed to get the download to start so fingers crossed.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote:
February 25 22, 9:18 am
Favorite state so far?
Disassociative

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »