Rave: University of Chicago

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
go birds
-go birds

Re: Rave: University of Chicago

Post by go birds »

the year is 3050...the ultimate safe space has been built....it is the safest of spaces......the only destination where one can feel unthreatened....the is no prejudice....there is no hatred.....there is no guilt........it is filled to capacity with white bros.

god damnit.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Gary Johnson's take on safe spaces, the University of Chicago, the wall, and of course weed. In case you care.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Johnson seems high. Or drunk.

Also, very unnuanced take on the subject.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Tim wrote:Gary Johnson's take on safe spaces, the University of Chicago, the wall, and of course weed. In case you care.

My first exposure to that guy.....sorry Tim.

------
I am curious, how much of a problem this safe space trigger warning stuff really is. Has it really taken hold of public universities? After watching that goofy interview, I am starting to get a War on Christmas !! vibe to this. I am sure they found a activist in favor of safe spaces, to be straw man. Overall, It just doesn't seem like a real issue.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Claremont McKenna College had safe spaces where white students weren't allowed after their Dean resigned over racial bias charges. That's just segregation. There were those spoiled kids at Missouri who protested that a media photographer could not be in their safe space on the quad--that's a suppression of freedom of the press, they're out in public taking a stand against violence and the media is reporting on it. They don't get to claim public space and then deny other people access to it, including the media, because it's public space.

There's nothing healthy in sticking your head in the sand, surrounding yourself only with people who agree with you, and then brattily insisting you get to colonize public space. That's just crappy idiotic kids--and they're just kids, they really are idiots--being crappy idiotic kids. I get their need to not feel threatened, but I don't get their need to not just remove threats but also remove idealistic challenges, which is part of a healthy democracy and a healthy college experience. Building an echo chamber at 19 years old is going to make a person a horrible adult.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

GeddyWrox wrote:
Jocks don't go in gay bars.
No, but after Pulse, I don't think anyone will feel truly safe in a public place like that again for a LONG time.
Wait...so are "safe spaces" impervious to the possibility of an attack? I admit I don't know much about the topic. Are they behind bulletproof glass with security at the door? If you're using Pulse as an example, I'm honestly curious if this kind of thing would be any less possible in a "safe space." As I already said, I know nothing about it. I just didn't think "safe" referred to this kind of security. How does a safe space work exactly?

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

lukethedrifter wrote:Johnson seems high. Or drunk.

Also, very unnuanced take on the subject.
He's incredibly odd. Poor social skills I think

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Freed Roger wrote:
Tim wrote:Gary Johnson's take on safe spaces, the University of Chicago, the wall, and of course weed. In case you care.

My first exposure to that guy.....sorry Tim.
Why are you apologizing?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

That I am going to be close-minded, and tune-out Gary Johnson, based on that video.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

Freed Roger wrote:That I am going to be close-minded, and tune-out Gary Johnson, based on that video.
Ah. Okay. Don't apologize to me. If you are not going to listen to an alternative to Trump or Clinton based on 5 minutes on Fox Business, certainly your prerogative. No sweat off my back.