Facebook Marketplace

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Facebook Marketplace

Post by JCShutout »

Tambourine Man wrote:
JCShutout wrote:Seriously? You think I stand around doing nothing in the hopes someone buys a $10 item and that I'll just change plans for that big money? I didn't even give you a specific location. Are you just gonna drive down and stand at that intersection and shout my name?
JC, I've had this happen before. The total lack of courtesy on these selling platforms is nuts. I once had a lady try to convince me to meet her in St. Charles to sell her my $10 wine rack. That's 45 minutes from me. So I just don't sell anymore. If it's not worth something on eBay, it gets donated to the local thrift shop. I still love buying, though.
Yup. Someone got all frustrated when I wouldn't agree to meet them 35-40 minutes from my house to sell them a $10 item. Uh no. You can come to me, or pay the $25 it would cost to buy it from the store 5 minutes from where you want to meet.

I'm getting close to saying F it with the less expensive items. I'd use etsy and ebay but I just don't want to deal with shipping.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I have an item for sale. Someone offers $5 less. I accept.

I type: "When would you want to meet to get the item?"

Their response: "I live close to XYZ"

... people... is reading really that difficult?

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I continue to be amazed at how rude / stupid people can be and still be able to read well enough to use FB Marketplace. I normally have okay experiences buying, because I don't bother bartering and won't drive too far for something. But, when selling something, I almost always get something like this:

* About 100 people do the generic "is this available?" post

* I respond "yes" to them all

* 75% of them never bother beyond that, for some reason

* At least two or three people will give you a fake sob story about why they should get it

* A handful of people will offer you under half the asking price and get annoyed when you say no

* When selling furniture, I put "priority given to people who can come pick it up immediately, because I want it gone". There's always one person who's about to go on a world cruise and wants you to hold it for them til they get back, and is furious when you won't

So I try not to be one of those people. Got a decent filing cabinet and an all-in-one PC this week, for a nice low price.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
March 13 20, 7:49 am
I continue to be amazed at how rude / stupid people can be and still be able to read well enough to use FB Marketplace. I normally have okay experiences buying, because I don't bother bartering and won't drive too far for something. But, when selling something, I almost always get something like this:

* About 100 people do the generic "is this available?" post

* I respond "yes" to them all

* 75% of them never bother beyond that, for some reason

* At least two or three people will give you a fake sob story about why they should get it

* A handful of people will offer you under half the asking price and get annoyed when you say no

* When selling furniture, I put "priority given to people who can come pick it up immediately, because I want it gone". There's always one person who's about to go on a world cruise and wants you to hold it for them til they get back, and is furious when you won't

So I try not to be one of those people. Got a decent filing cabinet and an all-in-one PC this week, for a nice low price.
Ah the sob story. Those are my favorite. Once I sold a hemi cuda, not on facebook mind you, but I had someone contact me and the story went something like this "I've always wanted a hemi cuda, my father had one and he died when I was young, blah blah blah, but it's been a rough few years for me. I can't afford your asking price but I could do 20k for the car. I know that's a low ball figure but as a fellow cuda fan you surely understand...."

He continued on. I sold the car later that day for many times that amount.