My town is flooded, people have opinions

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
tlombard
tl;dr

Re: My town is flooded, people have opinions

Post by tlombard »

IMADreamer wrote:They used to dredge it regularly, we liked it because it kept the river lower and barge companies liked it because they had less damage due to hitting stuff under the water because the channel was deeper and the river was cleaner. Sometime in the last decade or so the corp has significantly cut dredging.
Highly cynical and sarcastic response because I honestly don't know where the funding for the CoE comes from but....

THOSE BOMBS AND FANCY NEW FIGHTERS DON'T BUY THEMSELVES!!!!

Edit to add: Also completely not helpful to advance the discussion but I'm at that point where I'm just lost and mad these days.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I really hope that we can break this pattern where it rains every Wednesday/Thursday after this week.

I feel like a jerk for being mad that we have rained out every single Thursday softball game so far this season but I honestly do feel terrible for everybody dealing with the flooding. I remember what my dad and his fiance went through a couple of years ago with that December flood that completely submerged their house off of 141. Not cool at all Mother Nature.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

The river situation is getting much worse. Those of you around the river please consider volunteering.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

The rivers north of STL are basically at peak flooding right now with more rain this week. Levees are popping in quite a few places and in some places they are being over topped. We by some miracle are still ok. We had a massive scare Friday night where basically it was time to get out. Another decent scare yesterday but so far everything has been stabilized.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I was watching the news last night and they were saying there's a possibility of another 4 inches of rain this week :? This is getting ridiculous.

Hoping for the best for you Dreamer and the rest that are affected by the flood.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I suspect the river busn on the rec side is being crushed.

Hard to tell what is open along Missouri, Mississippi and Lower Meramec as well, so people just do something else.

Quite a few places I tend to haunt and spend a little money, but am not lately .

Hang in there Hermann, Hartsburg, Mokane, Portland, Treolar, Chamois Valmeyer (and Waterloo by assoc) , Grafton, and Old Bakery Brewery etc etc...we will be itchin to get back.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Are there any organizations that are helping with flood relief that we should know about and potentially support?

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

CardsofSTL wrote:Are there any organizations that are helping with flood relief that we should know about and potentially support?
Am not sure. IMA?

There isn't an overall general way to support. It seems coordinated by area and by individual groups affected. Watching local news tonight (rare for me), it was random operations. I think you just have to look around and pick one to support.

it is sketchy the next few days at least. But there will also be a lot of need/chances to help when the water finally recedes.
https://www.riverrelief.org
I've been a small time donor to Missouri River Relief. Havent volunteered yet, but hope to. Good organization, focused on river cleanup. There will be actual tons of trash to clean up from these floods.
When it recedes, dabgummit i will be up with a trash bag along the low stretch of a favorite trail in Pere Marquette SP, followed by supportive beer and food in a river town

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Freed Roger wrote:I suspect the river busn on the rec side is being crushed.

Hard to tell what is open along Missouri, Mississippi and Lower Meramec as well, so people just do something else.

Quite a few places I tend to haunt and spend a little money, but am not lately .

Hang in there Hermann, Hartsburg, Mokane, Portland, Treolar, Chamois Valmeyer (and Waterloo by assoc) , Grafton, and Old Bakery Brewery etc etc...we will be itchin to get back.
This is still going on - Am looking at it from rec and travel side. https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/fl ... r#stream/0
Most these places, like a Katy Trail based campground, are truly mom and pop businesses. Hard to tell what is open and when, so people spend their leisure time and money elsewhere. Saw that Katfish Katy's ( a cool little Katy Trail place with food beer music. )is STILL closed due to flooding. Cooper's Landing is trying to get back up.

It's practically July. The MR340, which draws hundreds from across the world to MO for a week, has been moved to Sept (hopeful) All sorts of events permanently cancelled - maybe because it's stuff that I'm interested in which is why I notice.

Anyways, I chatted with a ranger on the Current River, we agreed how the # of people seem less, probably due to flooding mis-perceptions. maybe a circumstance, but a few days after the chat I saw NPS-ONSR a FB post reminding people they aren't flooded (informing the already-informed in most cases). i don't mind less tourist people TBH, but realize they help keep public lands public. Maybe not the ONSR itself in danger, but those nearby under our corrupt state jurisdiction - only a matter a time before budgets slashed more, the less savory elements start filling the void etc