eBay sucks

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

eBay sucks

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Especially for selling. Bought a new phone, sold my old one - I'd had it less than a year, and it was locked to Boost. The title of the item said this, and I made sure to mark it as such.

Sold it once, and the guy kept asking for weird things, like a video of it being turned off and on, before deciding, a week after the end of bidding, that he didn't want it any more. I got my fee refunded by eBay for that one, and the guy got a strike against him. Sale two - the buyer said he couldn't pay for two weeks, and said I could cancel if I liked, so I did. Sale three - after I'd mailed it, the buyer said "hey, it says it's locked to Boost. Is that right?" So I said yes, and the title of the item even said that. Quite clear.

It arrives, and the guy threatens me - "you'd better get this phone unlocked, or I'll make things difficult for you". I made sure to ask him if the phone looked and worked alright, and he said yes, because he's a [expletive] idiot who doesn't know how to play the game. I tried to get it unlocked, Boost refused (I'd not had it for a year) and that was that, I thought. But now the guy has opened a dispute saying the phone is faulty, saying that I changed the description, blah blah blah.

The sad thing is, despite it being 100% his fault for not reading the description, there's a very good chance eBay will side with him. If they do, I'm done with it. I'd rather burn my stuff than [expletive] with eBay again.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: eBay sucks

Post by IMADreamer »

Yep ebay is garbage full of garbage people. I quit selling there years ago. It shouldn't be pulling teeth to get someone to pay for things they clicked on a button to buy.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

What does it mean for a phone to be locked to Boost?

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

stlouie_lipp wrote:What does it mean for a phone to be locked to Boost?
The phone can't be used on any other carrier that it might be compatible with until it is 'unlocked' which is purely a software thing controlled by the carriers. Legally, I think, they have to unlock the phone for you but only after you've had it on their service for a year or so.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

And of course, eBay has sided with the buyer. What a huge waste of [expletive] time. [expletive] you eBay, this is the last time I use your [expletive] website.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

To add insult to injury, the seller has bricked the phone, admitted to doing it, and eBay are just going "well, he said it was faulty when it arrived" despite him just saying it was faulty because he didn't read the item description. I guess if all you ever do on eBay is buy, then none of my woes will bother you, but they've essentially made it impossible to be a small-time seller on that site. I'm out $200 because of them.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

To be fair to all sides...Boost mobile is also [expletive].

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Not to discount your experience, but I've been buying and selling on eBay for more than 20 years now with very few minor issues. So maybe your experience isn't necessarily typical.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Smith Corks One wrote:I drove drunk a ton of times, never got caught, never got in an accident, therefore driving drunk is okay.
Fixed that for you.

Congratulations on never dealing with a scammer or having to go through eBay's complaint system, I guess?

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
Smith Corks One wrote:I drove drunk a ton of times, never got caught, never got in an accident, therefore driving drunk is okay.
Fixed that for you.

Congratulations on never dealing with a scammer or having to go through eBay's complaint system, I guess?
Haha - that is probably the worst analogy I've ever seen in my life.