Off-Leash Dogs

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Off-Leash Dogs

Post by G. Keenan »

As a dog lover and owner of two dogs myself, this is something that really grinds my gears. Why do people let their dogs off-leash in public areas? Unless you are in a dog park or the middle of nowhere or your own backyard, your dog should never be off leash. This is just basic common courtesy to your neighbors, and in the best interest of your own dog. And yet, a minority of dog owners choose to manspread all over the public park, letting their dog run loose. [expletive] these people.

One of my dogs has now been attacked, and I do mean attacked, twice in the past two weeks by the same off leash dog in my local park. The irony of it is that the same park literally contains a fenced off dog park area where this dog could be let off leash. The first time it happened I yelled at the guy and made this very point to him. When it happened a second time on Sunday, I pulled his dog off of mine by the scruff of its neck and threw it at him. He then said "don't [expletive] touch my dog like that" and I went ape. Your dog has just attacked mine for the second time because you don't have it under control and you're going to tell me what to do? Oh hell no. It got very confrontational.

And just the day prior, my wife and I were coming home from our walk through our building's rear courtyard. Some neighbors were having a gathering back there and one of their guests brought their dog. It was, you guessed it, not leashed and when we entered this dog made a bee line for us and attacked my other dog. You are supposed to have your dogs leashed in all common areas per the rules. Why is this simple concept so hard for people to understand?

I don't care how gentle or how well-trained you think your dog is. Any dog can always be unpredictable and you never know when yours will be the one to do something completely out of character. Furthermore, just because your dog is "friendly" doesn't mean other dogs always are. Your friendly dog may run up on a leashed dog that is leashed for a good reason, and said dog may [expletive] your dog up. You have endangered your dog by letting it off leash and have no one but yourself to blame if it gets hurt.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Re: Off-Leash Dogs

Post by stlouie_lipp »

We have come to a point where people think their dogs are their "kids", so how dare you suggest that they leash their kids!?!?

Really it has gotten out of hand. Even people who have their dogs leashed don't do a proper job of keeping them heeled. Hate to break it to dog owners, but not everyone likes dogs. I don't want your dog running up to me leashed or not.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

stlouie_lipp wrote:We have come to a point where people think their dogs are their "kids", so how dare you suggest that they leash their kids!?!?.
We leashed our kid and we leash our dog.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

It is weird how I like dogs, but tend to not like other "dog people"

I haven't had much issue with off-leash dogs though, seems like the leashed ones where owner can't control it and adds tension to it are the issue.

When I had the Big Galoot (RIP ole boy) , on leash I stayed away from other dogs for most part. He did fine with other dogs, but I just didn't like the other owners much.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Tangent - I know I've ranted on this before - but the "dog people" are [expletive] up vets for other people that love their dog, but have reasonable expectations for veterinary care.

The vets sort of make it into a boutique for the weirdo dog owners, and you have to train the vet and their staff that you want humane care my dog, but not interested in bull shet and upselling of services. Especially when the dog is geriatric.

And if your staff calls me my dog's daddy one more [expletive] time...

And the dog kenneling places -same thing there. Weirdo dog people ruining it. Do you want to pay extra for happy hour? And More play time....goddam, this always made me wonder if they abuse the dogs for owners that didnt pay up extra. First thing Big Galoot did after kennel was drink a gallon of water like he hadn't had any in a week. Is water extra?
Anyways, our two little dogs we don't need to kennel, easy to care for and a good situation with the neighbors or daughter friends to let them out when we are gone.
Last edited by Freed Roger on May 28 19, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

stlouie_lipp wrote:Hate to break it to dog owners, but not everyone likes dogs. I don't want your dog running up to me leashed or not.
Of course not, and as a dog owner myself I understand that, because I have basic common sense and just enough wisdom to know that the world does not exist solely for me.

Then you have this category of arrogant, unthinking people who think that the rules don't apply to them and they can do whatever they want. Their dog needs to run, man. He needs to feel free. Who cares if that bothers other people, endangers other people's dogs, endangers their own dogs, right? They aren't thinking about that.

My dogs are like my kids and if through your negligence and idiocy your dog attacks mine, you need to say sorry and make amends like a decent person. If instead you double down on your negligence and step to me, I'm going to [expletive] you up in a white hot rage.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Freed Roger wrote:It is weird how I like dogs, but tend to not like other "dog people"
+10000000

I love my dog (and past dogs)....loooooove him. he's completely trained and will not leave my side (or wife/kids) unless instructed to do so by one of us; and I still always take him on his leash if I'm in public.

it's like my kids...I love them. but I don't like yours...love my dog; not yours though.

and people that bring their dogs over to my house (or other people's house) during a party??? [expletive] that noise. obviously if a party is at your house, and you have a dog...do whatever the hell you like. but don't bring your dog to someone else's house. when we have people over, our dog is kenneled.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I always have my dog on the leash...I think people that let their dogs go offleash in public areas (besides fenced dog parks of course) should get their ass whipped. Besides the nuisance it can create, it also puts the dog at risk and it's usually against the law. But stupid people are stupid.

I will say this though... When I'm sitting at a park and my dog is on leash resting beside me and you come up and say can I pet him? And I say no and then you proceed to do it anyway... Don't think I'm going to feel sorry for you when he barks and you shildt your pants.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

CardsofSTL wrote:I always have my dog on the leash...I think people that let their dogs go offleash in public areas (besides fenced dog parks of course) should get their ass whipped. Besides the nuisance it can create, it also puts the dog at risk and it's usually against the law. But stupid people are stupid.

I will say this though... When I'm sitting at a park and my dog is on leash resting beside me and you come up and say can I pet him? And I say no and then you proceed to do it anyway... Don't think I'm going to feel sorry for you when he barks and you shildt your pants.
It's sad really. Just search something like Twitter for "off leash dog" and you will see thousands of posts and photos of people's dogs that were attacked and maimed or killed by an off leash dog, or people whose dog was off leash and got hit by a car and now they regret it, or vets saying how often they got dogs that were attacked and dogs that were hit by cars coming in because a dog was off the leash.

And yet lots of people do it because they don't think about any of that. And when their dog bites someone it's always the same, "Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! This has never happened before." Just keep 'em on the leash, idiot.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

It is crazy how dogs detect the tension.
Which leads to the aggression IMO.

Like, in the dog park-the dogs generally know it's ok. Both my dogs now are small, and I don't worry in the dog park and they run around with some huge dogs.
El Hermano is 11 lbs chi-mix -he can handle himself

Ocassionally an owner will overreact in the dog park, and the dogs immediately get confused.

/pitbulls -i get tense and don't trust. My dogs sense it. Unfair perhaps. But you can't blame people (and little kids!) for being scared, whether its rational or not. So yeah, leash your dog and control it.