People in cars

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Post Reply
User avatar
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively
Posts: 8324
Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: People in cars

Post by 33anda3rd »

lukethedrifter wrote:Let me rephrase this for the easily offended driver of automobiles.

People who might otherwise be well socialized humans, treat other, more vulnerable humans with total disrespect and disregard for life and limb. Seems we think we’re driving slot cars. Pull up into the crosswalk? Why not? Quick right turn without checking for humans? There’s probably no one there, go ahead. Block other drivers’ access because you’re too busy in your own head to think about other people and how you might be making their day difficult, and really [expletive] up the flow of traffic.

Most of us make some incredibly inconsiderate and antisocial moves while driving. But a) let’s blame the more vulnerable and b) not show any self awareness.
I agree with you. Drivers are buttholes. Bicyclists are bigger buttholes though. Morally self elevated buttholes.

When people rant about cops people who are related to a cop get ruffled. When people rant about racists, racists get ruffled. When you tell a Bernie Bro that not voting for Clinton led to Trump they get defensive and deny it. When jim, who had a personal beef with me on this board for years that the mods hilariously did not do anything about, wrote long rant threads about my hometown and my profession, I defended those things. When you say drivers are a-holes some drivers are gonna get defensive.
User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13164
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: People in cars

Post by stlouie_lipp »

User avatar
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively
Posts: 8324
Joined: April 7 13, 9:45 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: People in cars

Post by 33anda3rd »

Imagine if people in cars decided that the rules of the road only apply to them when they feel like it. Imagine if people in cars actually were the worst actors on the road. If they just blew through stop lights and made wide turns into oncoming traffic while going against traffic on a one-way street. If they just popped up onto sidewalks when they needed to--because, seriously, why should we have to stop for anything? Stopping is for the morally inferior among us.--and then popped down onto the street and squeezed between a couple other cars. Imagine if motorists drove like bicyclists.

The death toll would be a national emergency.
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"
Posts: 24509
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: People in cars

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

It should be noted that there is a big push all across the country to try to make areas more ped/bike friendly. The issue is, it's very difficult to retrofit an infrastructure in many cases that was designed solely around cars. In some areas it's easier, namely downtowns and larger cities where congestion occurs more on the interstates than the city streets. Someone posted an article about what they did in Indianapolis, and they've done it here in Little Rock as well. Also, older subdivisions that were built on grids.

Quick history lesson.

Early to mid 1900s, cars were more of a luxury than necessity and as such developments and cities expanded with pedestrians in mind and largely in a grad pattern which resulted in straight roads (why walk 1.5 miles to go 1 mile as the crow flies). Because there was row after row of streets, few are treated as major thoroughfares which is helpful for ped/bike access.

Then, post WW2, cars became more normal and developments and cities expanded in accordance (who cares if the road goes 1.5 miles instead of 1 mile because you'll be driving and the curvy roads and what not are more appealing). Cities expanded with a spaghetti web of streets in subdivisions that lead to major thoroughfares where everyone drives for the most part. In many cases, the only way to get from A to B is on said major thoroughfare which is likely already too busy and not built with ped/bike in mind. And, in order to make them ped/bike friendly, it would require taking property and building a lane which costs $$$$$$$ and won't happen.

In short, everyone's an [expletive] and the design of most every infrastructure system guarantees conflicts between cars/cyclists.
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 25221
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: People in cars

Post by Freed Roger »

Downside of an empowered/entitled [expletive] behind the wheel of a car isn't remotely comparable to the downside of a cyclist [expletive].

The driver [expletive] is malignant
User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37361
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: People in cars

Post by lukethedrifter »

33anda3rd wrote:Imagine if people in cars decided that the rules of the road only apply to them when they feel like it. Imagine if people in cars actually were the worst actors on the road. If they just blew through stop lights and made wide turns into oncoming traffic while going against traffic on a one-way street. If they just popped up onto sidewalks when they needed to--because, seriously, why should we have to stop for anything? Stopping is for the morally inferior among us.--and then popped down onto the street and squeezed between a couple other cars. Imagine if motorists drove like bicyclists.

The death toll would be a national emergency.
Apparently you haven’t been to St Louis.
User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37361
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: People in cars

Post by lukethedrifter »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:It should be noted that there is a big push all across the country to try to make areas more ped/bike friendly. The issue is, it's very difficult to retrofit an infrastructure in many cases that was designed solely around cars. In some areas it's easier, namely downtowns and larger cities where congestion occurs more on the interstates than the city streets. Someone posted an article about what they did in Indianapolis, and they've done it here in Little Rock as well. Also, older subdivisions that were built on grids.

Quick history lesson.

Early to mid 1900s, cars were more of a luxury than necessity and as such developments and cities expanded with pedestrians in mind and largely in a grad pattern which resulted in straight roads (why walk 1.5 miles to go 1 mile as the crow flies). Because there was row after row of streets, few are treated as major thoroughfares which is helpful for ped/bike access.

Then, post WW2, cars became more normal and developments and cities expanded in accordance (who cares if the road goes 1.5 miles instead of 1 mile because you'll be driving and the curvy roads and what not are more appealing). Cities expanded with a spaghetti web of streets in subdivisions that lead to major thoroughfares where everyone drives for the most part. In many cases, the only way to get from A to B is on said major thoroughfare which is likely already too busy and not built with ped/bike in mind. And, in order to make them ped/bike friendly, it would require taking property and building a lane which costs $$$$$$$ and won't happen.

In short, everyone's an [expletive] and the design of most every infrastructure system guarantees conflicts between cars/cyclists.
Good stuff. And why i have zero interest in outer burb/subdivision living. I like being able to walk to Cousin Hugo’s or bike to the grocery store.

I could suspend those requirements for the right country living spot
User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 24946
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: People in cars

Post by wart57 »

33anda3rd wrote:Imagine if people in cars decided that the rules of the road only apply to them when they feel like it. Imagine if people in cars actually were the worst actors on the road. If they just blew through stop lights and made wide turns into oncoming traffic while going against traffic on a one-way street. If they just popped up onto sidewalks when they needed to--because, seriously, why should we have to stop for anything? Stopping is for the morally inferior among us.--and then popped down onto the street and squeezed between a couple other cars. Imagine if motorists drove like bicyclists.

The death toll would be a national emergency.
https://ohsonline.com/articles/2019/02/ ... eaths.aspx
NSC estimates that in 2018, 40,000 people died in car crashes—a 1 percent decline from 40,231 deaths in 2017 and 40,327 deaths in 2016. An estimated 4.5 million people were seriously injured in car crashes in 2018, also a 1 percent decrease from 2017 figures.
I wonder how many deaths = national emergency.
User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37361
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: People in cars

Post by lukethedrifter »

wart57 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Imagine if people in cars decided that the rules of the road only apply to them when they feel like it. Imagine if people in cars actually were the worst actors on the road. If they just blew through stop lights and made wide turns into oncoming traffic while going against traffic on a one-way street. If they just popped up onto sidewalks when they needed to--because, seriously, why should we have to stop for anything? Stopping is for the morally inferior among us.--and then popped down onto the street and squeezed between a couple other cars. Imagine if motorists drove like bicyclists.

The death toll would be a national emergency.
https://ohsonline.com/articles/2019/02/ ... eaths.aspx
NSC estimates that in 2018, 40,000 people died in car crashes—a 1 percent decline from 40,231 deaths in 2017 and 40,327 deaths in 2016. An estimated 4.5 million people were seriously injured in car crashes in 2018, also a 1 percent decrease from 2017 figures.
I wonder how many deaths = national emergency.
Seems like we as a society are good with that number and only if it were to spike would be considered a problem. Seems crazy
User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 17389
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: People in cars

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

wart57 wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:Imagine if people in cars decided that the rules of the road only apply to them when they feel like it. Imagine if people in cars actually were the worst actors on the road. If they just blew through stop lights and made wide turns into oncoming traffic while going against traffic on a one-way street. If they just popped up onto sidewalks when they needed to--because, seriously, why should we have to stop for anything? Stopping is for the morally inferior among us.--and then popped down onto the street and squeezed between a couple other cars. Imagine if motorists drove like bicyclists.

The death toll would be a national emergency.
https://ohsonline.com/articles/2019/02/ ... eaths.aspx
NSC estimates that in 2018, 40,000 people died in car crashes—a 1 percent decline from 40,231 deaths in 2017 and 40,327 deaths in 2016. An estimated 4.5 million people were seriously injured in car crashes in 2018, also a 1 percent decrease from 2017 figures.
I wonder how many deaths = national emergency.
40000 soldiers in Vietnam wasn't but 3000 NY liberals was. Go figure.
Post Reply