Christmas shopping

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Christmas shopping

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:I can't do stuff like what IMA did anymore. People don't have self-awareness and generally act like idiots.
Yep. Xmas Shoppers are locked in, like on a mission from God.

I am amongst that crowd so rarely that it seems like hell when I'm there.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Freed Roger wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:I can't do stuff like what IMA did anymore. People don't have self-awareness and generally act like idiots.
Yep. Xmas Shoppers are locked in, like on a mission from God.

I am amongst that crowd so rarely that it seems like hell when I'm there.

It's awful, it's like no one is paying attention to anything around them. I don't know how the people who work at the stores do it. We stopped to get a quick drink at one place and this lady was berating the guy behind the counter because her soda was flat. He was already working on making it right but she was just railing on him. If I were in a different mood I might have said something to her but I just wanted out. Then at another place there was this lady looking for something the store clearly didn't have but she was trying to make the cashier check in the back. Meanwhile there is a line of 15 people wanting to check out.

It's just insanity. What's worse is do we really need all this [expletive]? Granted I was there so I am a part of the hyper consumerism problem but at the end of the day none of that crap matters. Certainly not enough to be knocking in to people and yelling at cashiers. We are really making a conscience effort at our house to not be wasteful and I think this weekend we both realized more ways we can do better.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

A few years ago, I was at the mall on a Saturday in December. Trying to drive through the parking lot was an issue. Not because of other cars, but because of pedestrians walking in the "roadway" part of the parking lot when there was a sidewalk right next to where these people were walking.

I rolled down my window and asked them if they saw the sidewalk, they looked confused and said "yeah." I replied "good, [expletive] use it and get out of my way."

I just don't deal with this nonsense any more. Sometimes it frustrates my wife and daughter that I don't participate in this, but they are realizing that they enjoy this atmosphere much more without me.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:A few years ago, I was at the mall on a Saturday in December. Trying to drive through the parking lot was an issue. Not because of other cars, but because of pedestrians walking in the "roadway" part of the parking lot when there was a sidewalk right next to where these people were walking.
If you haven't seen those people since that time a few years ago it's probably because Darwinism took care of them.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

33anda3rd wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:A few years ago, I was at the mall on a Saturday in December. Trying to drive through the parking lot was an issue. Not because of other cars, but because of pedestrians walking in the "roadway" part of the parking lot when there was a sidewalk right next to where these people were walking.
If you haven't seen those people since that time a few years ago it's probably because Darwinism took care of them.
Quite the opposite. I think they are multiplying rapidly.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Because we have a lot of warning labels that keep these idiots alive...

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I'm so glad that my family quit with the gift giving stuff over a decade ago. We just get together with family and family friends and spend quality time together on the holidays with a simple 'rob your neighbor' exchange with a $15-20 price range on Christmas Eve. If my brother would ever come back into town for a holiday, I'd buy my niece and nephew a ton of presents of course but they spend all of their holidays in Florida with his wife's family.

I get it that traveling with two small children isn't fun but just once would be nice. As it is, I haven't made it out to visit them in a couple of years and the kids honestly have no clue who I am because they were so young the last time I saw them. He obviously isn't the only one to blame. At least my parents each make a trip or two out there every year to see them.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

wart57 wrote:
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Because we have a lot of warning labels that keep these idiots alive...
Funny story about warning labels. The car I just bought has a warning label on the sun visor that child safety seats should be put in the rear seat of the car. It's a two seater car with no rear seat.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

There is a warning on my fire helmet that says firefighting is really dangerous.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

lukethedrifter wrote:There is a warning on my fire helmet that says firefighting is really dangerous.

Maybe it's not a warning as so much stating a fact?