Alcohol Curtailment

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Alcohol Curtailment

Post by GeddyWrox »

I'm probably a high functioning alcoholic. Binge drank all through high school and college. As an adult, didn't drink much except when friends or neighbors would have a party of something. I had a boss early in my IT career that loved to go out, too. Had some rough mornings after being out with him. Then I began working as a traveling consultant. Life on the road Sunday nights through Thursday nights. Away from family and friends, eating in bars and restaurants. It was just natural to have several drinks a night with the coworkers. And it was all expensed. That's when I got pretty good at controlling the amount of alcohol I would have in a night. But it's also when I went from a few times a month to almost every night. I've had a FTE position locally for 5+ years now, and I still have a couple pours of bourbon most nights. I did do dry January though. The first week was easy. The second week was hard. The third and fourth weeks were somewhere in between. But now that we're in quarantine mode, I'm finding my mind won't let me go to sleep unless I have a couple in me at bedtime. I've tried. I just lay there and worry. And yes, I'm already on an antidepresent which helps with anxiety. Depending on how long quarantine lasts, I'm going to try another dry month here pretty soon.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I hear you Geddy. I can't sleep unless I smoke or drink later in the evening during this.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I started binge drinking a [expletive] ton during this. Feel like all day I have to put on a front for the kids and people I work with. The kids know what's going on, but still they don't need to see me scared. Once they go to bed though, I just sit in my little homemade office, aka the dining room, and hopelessly ponder what America, the world, the economy, etc everything is going to look like 2 years from now. And, it's just depressing. Hopefully I'm wrong and just been drinking for [expletive] and giggles

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

This may not be exactly the right thread, but we don't have one on point exactly. One of my cousins passed away today. We don't know the cause of death, but it was almost certainly drug related. He was only 30 or so years old. I used to babysit him when he was a kid and spend holidays together, but I I hadn't seen him in a number of years. He was in and out of rehab and prison, but (at least on social media) still a goofball, and seemed to be surrounded by friends, and supportive of them. His parents did everything on earth they could to help him, at great emotional and financial cost.

Anyway, addiction sucks. I'm just dumb-lucky to not even comprehend what addiction really means.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

God, how awful. I'm sorry Zeus.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I just saw this. I'm sorry heyzeus.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Same, zeus. My condolences on losing your cousin. This week is the one year anniversary of my wife and I losing a good friend to a heroin overdose. He was 40 years old.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Thanks, y'all. I appreciate your thoughts.