Covid19 Era 1st World Problems

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Re: Covid19 Era 1st World Problems

Post by cardinalkarp »

GeddyWrox wrote:
May 15 20, 11:56 am
So, my 14 y/o daughter is dying to go somewhere this summer. She definitely understands the gravity of the current state of things, but sees states "opening up" and wants to travel. She loves beaches and seeing interesting things, but isn't much of a camping type person. And TBH, neither am I. But I'm much happier than she is to just sit in front of a camp fire for several days.

Assuming things stay relatively status quo (no big spikes, no sudden miracle cure) do you think it would be safe to do a driving vacation to a beach, or perhaps just a driving tour of states we haven't been to yet with stays in hotels along the way?

We are mask-wearers and would probably prepare our own food or do take out everywhere. No sitting in restaurants.

Just wondering what consensus is on the idea.
My girlfriend and I have a 2 week road trip planned starting mid-August where we're going heading out to Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and back to St. Louis.

So I think you know where I stand regarding a road trip vacation. We're going to be doing a lot of camping and staying in some smaller little hotels, but we'll take extra precaution when staying in places.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

We're in the same situation, having a vacation to the beach in Florida planned at the end of july.

Gonna wait and see how everything unfolds, but as of now we're still tentatively planning on going contingent on the following:
1. Ability to not infect others if we do by chance have it. Obviously, if we're sick, we're not going. But, if we're infected and don't show symptoms, we need to have the ability to not infect others. That can be accomplished by minimizing stops on the drive there. Instead of sleeping in a hotel on the way, we'll make the drive in one day. Have masks for the kids when we need to stop for the bathroom/gas. Bring food and not stop at restaurants. Stay at a vrbo instead of a hotel. Make only one trip to the grocery store once there and don't eat at restaurants instead cook at the vrbo or do curbside pickup.

2. Ability to not get infected. By acting like we're infected and preventing any spread, it really does a lot to avoid getting infected as well. Of course, cloth masks only protect others from you, not vice versa. So, there's that. We'll have to watch and make sure we're not driving through/stopping at any hot spots. And, of course, if the place we're going becomes a hot spot then we just won't go. But, relatively speaking, there's not much more contact with others if you drive and minimize stops compared to just staying at home and doing the same thing.

In the end, I think people need to make up their own minds about how much risk they're willing to accept while acknowledging it is still incumbent upon them to not spread the disease in the event they have it but don't know. Relying on other people to do the same is probably ill-advised, however. So, there needs to be some thought given to that when understanding risk.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

cardinalkarp wrote:
May 15 20, 3:08 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:
So, my 14 y/o daughter is dying to go somewhere this summer. She definitely understands the gravity of the current state of things, but sees states "opening up" and wants to travel. She loves beaches and seeing interesting things, but isn't much of a camping type person. And TBH, neither am I. But I'm much happier than she is to just sit in front of a camp fire for several days.

Assuming things stay relatively status quo (no big spikes, no sudden miracle cure) do you think it would be safe to do a driving vacation to a beach, or perhaps just a driving tour of states we haven't been to yet with stays in hotels along the way?

We are mask-wearers and would probably prepare our own food or do take out everywhere. No sitting in restaurants.

My girlfriend and I have a 2 week road trip planned starting mid-August where we're going heading out to Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and back to St. Louis.

So I think you know where I stand regarding a road trip vacation. We're going to be doing a lot of camping and staying in some smaller little hotels, but we'll take extra precaution when staying in places.

My concern is the hotels. We have been kicking around the idea of hitting up some national parks after wheat harvest. The thought being the crowds may be smaller. We'd camp most of time, bring our own food, etc. I'm still not sure though.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

GEICO came through and I got my check today. Anybody want to take a two hour drive down to Altenburg, MO this weekend so they can drive me back? LOL. I'm probably going to have to bribe somebody for this favor.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

We had a trip to Gulf Shores planned in July. We had rented a condo. I canceled that in April. Too many folks in a condo area for me to feel comfortable.

I'm considering renting an RV and going out west but I'm not sure my 2 year old would do well in an RV for that long. So we'll probably just stay home.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

IMADreamer wrote:
May 18 20, 3:47 pm
cardinalkarp wrote:
May 15 20, 3:08 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:

My concern is the hotels. We have been kicking around the idea of hitting up some national parks after wheat harvest. The thought being the crowds may be smaller. We'd camp most of time, bring our own food, etc. I'm still not sure though.
I agree on concern with hotels. We've been thinking a little more about finding an AirBNB on a lake within a tank of gas from home. Have to both trust their cleaning service and do a wipe down ourselves when we arrive, but limits outside exposure from others in a hotel. Plus, we can bring most of the food we need, and we'd be on/in the water or hiking the whole time.

We also really like camping, but I'm worried about the outhouses/shared bathrooms. My general hygiene, including effective handwashing, goes down while camping, so I feel like those communal bathrooms could be a terrible place for the virus this summer.

All that said, another part of my brain decided to check lodging availability in Glacier this summer. I was previously able to just get one night in a lodge, and we were going to camp for the rest of the time. I was able to find a few nights available and grabbed the rooms, just in case. Can cancel just a few days ahead of time without penalty. I think there have been some cancellations, so who knows, maybe it will be a little less crowded. Unlikely that we'll actually go, but just in case...

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

TP seems easier to find now but it also seems to usually be in like, 12 packs so it's always a little more expensive than i'd prefer. anyways, i got some last week and of the selection i chose some that was scented with lavender. what exactly is the point of scented TP? it doesn't make my ass smell better, doesn't make the waste smell better, the TP itself is no different than any other. i think it's *only* for keeping the room lightly scented. weird.

BottenFieldofDreams
All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I look out onto the street working from home. Once a week a meth tweaker stops to sway a moment and have a conversation with God or Doug the Spirit or whoever it is on the sidewalk right in front of our place. I'm wondering what it is about our driveway that appeals to them. Can't be the white Prius. There's one of those in every Portland driveway (city ordinance).

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Jocephus wrote:
May 20 20, 11:56 am
TP seems easier to find now but it also seems to usually be in like, 12 packs so it's always a little more expensive than i'd prefer. anyways, i got some last week and of the selection i chose some that was scented with lavender. what exactly is the point of scented TP? it doesn't make my ass smell better, doesn't make the waste smell better, the TP itself is no different than any other. i think it's *only* for keeping the room lightly scented. weird.
Obviously a cash grab tactic by big perfuma.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Leroy wrote:
June 3 20, 8:42 am
Jocephus wrote:
May 20 20, 11:56 am
Obviously a cash grab tactic by big perfuma.
The technology for pumpkin spice toilet paper hasn't been perfected yet.