Enterprise Rental can suck it.

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Enterprise Rental can suck it.

Post by Leroy »

So I had an accident late on New Year's Eve. Nothing hurt except the car, which they put as a total loss. I guess I don't understand how that works but whatever.

Anyway, my insurance made a reservation at our Enterprise for a car for like five days if we need it. We could bet by, but we let them take the wrecked car (which was drivable) and could really use one for a couple of days. So I made an appointment and went to pick it up.

This guy was kind of a d head. I mean I understand going around and making me check for dents. Seems dumb but whatever. But he kind of had a 'tude which put me not at ease from the start. As we sat in the car to finalize things, he starting offering 'additional' insurance. He said he always recommends getting something for $22 a day. I asked if I could just go without, because my insurance wasn't paying for that. He just kept pushing and I got really uncomfortable and said that I thought everything was covered and didn't realize I had to pay extra. Again, he said I really needed this insurance. I finally said that it seems like to much of a hassle, and just walked away. He said, 'That's fine'. So, no car.

I guess he just passed up something like $35 a day for a car that was doing nothing but sitting there in his push for insurance.

After all of this, our insurance company called to make sure everything was ok and the wife told her what happened. She basically said that any insurance needed would be covered under our existing auto policy, and the dude probably knew that (maybe not, I don't know).

So based on this one dude, an entire company can suck it.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Enterprise Rental can suck it.

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Leroy wrote:
January 15 21, 6:33 am
So I had an accident late on New Year's Eve. Nothing hurt except the car, which they put as a total loss. I guess I don't understand how that works but whatever.

Anyway, my insurance made a reservation at our Enterprise for a car for like five days if we need it. We could bet by, but we let them take the wrecked car (which was drivable) and could really use one for a couple of days. So I made an appointment and went to pick it up.

This guy was kind of a d head. I mean I understand going around and making me check for dents. Seems dumb but whatever. But he kind of had a 'tude which put me not at ease from the start. As we sat in the car to finalize things, he starting offering 'additional' insurance. He said he always recommends getting something for $22 a day. I asked if I could just go without, because my insurance wasn't paying for that. He just kept pushing and I got really uncomfortable and said that I thought everything was covered and didn't realize I had to pay extra. Again, he said I really needed this insurance. I finally said that it seems like to much of a hassle, and just walked away. He said, 'That's fine'. So, no car.

I guess he just passed up something like $35 a day for a car that was doing nothing but sitting there in his push for insurance.

After all of this, our insurance company called to make sure everything was ok and the wife told her what happened. She basically said that any insurance needed would be covered under our existing auto policy, and the dude probably knew that (maybe not, I don't know).

So based on this one dude, an entire company can suck it.
I've done a lot of business travel and used enterprise a lot as well. What you described is SOP. They do walk you around the vehicle to check for dents etc because you'll be liable for any new dings. However, those have to be pretty big because I've gotten door dings and small windshield cracks that have been saved off as too small to worry about when I returned.

The insurance is another thing. Pure profit and there's probably an incentive for the employee for as hard as it's pushed. But most of the time when I say "my insurance covers all of that, I'm not interested" is enough to get them to shut up.

Sorry for the hassle Leroy.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I just rented a vehicle from Enterprise two weeks ago; the guy asked if I wanted to purchase the insurance but when I said no I am already covered; he gave up. That guy maybe just really needed the commission. Stop hating on a working man, Leroy.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Ok, I won't hate the annoying little punk.

It is hard to believe he was so stubborn about that insurance. Ten years ago I would of just got it, no questions. My old age has made me a little cynical.

Probably didn't help that another annoying guy with a f'in Patriots hat was in front of me, said, 'be good to me', and another guy at the counter said, 'Here, it is the best car we got'. So what am I getting, a piece of junk?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If all the cars are the same; they are all the best that they got.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Leroy wrote:
January 15 21, 9:49 am
Ok, I won't hate the annoying little punk.

It is hard to believe he was so stubborn about that insurance. Ten years ago I would of just got it, no questions. My old age has made me a little cynical.

Probably didn't help that another annoying guy with a f'in Patriots hat was in front of me, said, 'be good to me', and another guy at the counter said, 'Here, it is the best car we got'. So what am I getting, a piece of junk?
Did he sing it Tina Turner style? Cause that would've been pretty boss.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

A few years ago I rented a car to go on a long trip. I called my agent before going to pick up the car to make sure I was covered. She kind of chuckled and said "yes you are, don't let them try to sell you".

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

This seems an appropriate time to post this classic scene. Language warning of course

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Every car rental employee knows that the vast majority of insurance policies cover rentals. That's why they ask for your insurance information / who your provider is. It was absolutely a misleading, hard sell job.

I had this happen to me a bunch of times and even folded and purchased the coverage when I was young renter. I met with my insurance guy and he assured me EVERYTHING is covered when I rent a car.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Got in a wreck with a rental car once. Yes you're covered by your own insurance 95% of the time but $20 a day is not much and better than taking out a claim on your own insurance.

It's a gamble, like anything.