Insurance, and my GD doctor.

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Insurance, and my GD doctor.

Post by GeddyWrox »

Rant time.

I've had a disc protrusion (L5/S1) for ages. Several years ago, I did PT, chiropractor, and then finally, spinal injections. The injections worked a few times and a couple of times didn't. So I wound up just taking two maximum doses of ibuprofen every day. That kept me upright, at least. I put off surgery due to several factors... my weight, work projects, kids, travel, etc.

Fast forward to now. My BP has been high. It's not responding to medication increases. My doctor was fretting about what to do next. I said, "Shouldn't I get off this daily ibuprofen?? Maybe it's time to finally do surgery." She acted kind of shocked, like I hadn't told her about the ibuprofen (I had). "YES. But let's get you a new MRI. It's been long enough, the neurosurgeon will want a new one."

But wait! Insurance just HAS to muscle into the picture and throw some elbows, right??? They denied my MRI. Said I have to do PT first. "First"... like I didn't do it like 3 or 4 years ago. They literally said on the phone today, "Yes, but have you done PT *this* year?" I answer "No, but my protrusion is CAL-CI-FIED. How in the name of little baby Jesus is PT going to fix the hardened bone spur pressing into my nerves?" The guy didn't have an answer. He just said, "Well, your doctor can file an appeal."

So I left my doctor another message stating they can file an appeal. My doctor's assistant responded: "There is no additional documentation that I can give. You do not have acute leg weakness or loss of bowel or bladder function. The requirement is PT for 4 weeks which can help at some times and then not work other times. Please proceed and if there is no improvement then we have grounds to appeal."

But I *DO* have acute leg weakness if I stop the fukking ibuprofen.

Insurance company only cares about the shareholders, and my doctor is apparently too busy to make a case for me to go straight to the MRI.

UGH. All these asshol3s can just go fvck all the way off.

GeddyWrox

Re: Insurance, and my GD doctor.

Post by GeddyWrox »

Also, I have to drive 30 minutes to this doctor. I've been with her for 15 years or so, but I am *seriously* considering finding a new/closer one. She's very thorough but I always feel rushed during visits, and now I feel like she's not willing to fight the insurance companies for me, either.

If you have a decent doctor but you're kind of on the fence about them, what pushes you over the edge to finding a new one???

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Damnit man, that sucks.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Obviously you should schedule another doctor's visit and [expletive] your pants during the exam.

I've had the same doctor for fifteen years myself and she's great. The one I had previously wasn't so great but I never had any serious issues so I didn't worry about it that much. I think if I'd been really sick or had a chronic problem I would have sought a new one. It's really all about your comfort level and if you think this doctor has your best interests in mind. If you find yourself answering no to that, it's time to look around.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

Had an MRI of my left foot in January and after initially having it denied by insurance my podiatrist went to bat and argued until it was eventually approved. But the insurance company, being the dickheads that they obviously are, declined allowing an MRI with contrast, which often makes it clearer to read, especially when looking at soft tissue and other potential nerve pain issues, which is what I'd been experiencing. The MRI came back completely clean. So the costly, approved procedure became basically worthless in an attempt to save a few dollars or, more likely, just gave the insurance co. the opportunity to wield some power or at least not completely lose the negotiation. Heads filled with dick. I feel for you, Geddy.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 8 21, 7:51 pm
Obviously you should schedule another doctor's visit and [expletive] your pants during the exam.
I LOL'd :D

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I also vote [expletive] your pants.

Having a good doctor is important if you have long term health issues. I absolutely love my doctor. She always has time for me and is a good partner in my health.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

And people fear monger against universal healthcare with "don't let the government come between you and your doctor."

I'm like, have these folks ever actually dealt with an insurance company?

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

G. Keenan wrote:
March 9 21, 1:05 pm
And people fear monger against universal healthcare with "don't let the government come between you and your doctor."

I'm like, have these folks ever actually dealt with an insurance company?
This. Exactly.