What's Up With THAT?!?

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

What's Up With THAT?!?

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

OK - I'll start.

Joe Medwick. He plays 10 of 17 years with the Cardinals. Goes into the HoF with a Cardinals cap. Yet his number isn't retired?

What's up with THAT?!?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: What's Up With THAT?!?

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
September 23 21, 5:12 pm
OK - I'll start.

Joe Medwick. He plays 10 of 17 years with the Cardinals. Goes into the HoF with a Cardinals cap. Yet his number isn't retired?

What's up with THAT?!?
https://www.bnd.com/latest-news/article214456884.html
His .324 career average and nearly 1,400 RBIs both would rank third among players whose numbers the Cardinals have already retired. And nobody has won the National League Triple Crown since he did so with a .374 average, 31 home runs and 154 RBIs in 1937. Medwick has longevity, too, having spent 11 of his 17 seasons over two stints with the Cardinals. So what’s the deal? The Cardinals have honored Dizzy Dean, the Gas House Gang’s best pitcher. Why not Medwick, its best hitter?

He wasn’t the most popular guy in the Cardinals clubhouse or with the baseball writers. Teammates called him “Ducky Wucky,” not just because of the waddle in his walk, but because they knew it stung him. Medwick wanted to be called “Muscles.” And the writers inexplicably waited 20 years to vote him into the Hall of Fame, despite a first-ballot career. But there was no real bad blood until notoriously cheap Cardinals owner Sam Breadon forced Medwick to take a pay cut in 1939 then dispatched him to Brooklyn for four spare parts and cash the following summer.

It wasn’t even a week after the trade that the Cardinals were at Ebbets Field to take on the Dodgers. In the team hotel on the morning of the series’ second game, St. Louis starting pitcher Bob Bowman got into an argument with his former teammate, telling him “I’ll take care of you.” True to his word, Bowman knocked Medwick cold with a bean ball to the head in the bottom of the first inning.

Muscles was never quite the same again. He still hit better than .300 a few times, but only twice again played more than 130 games in a season and never drove in 100 runs, something he did in each of the seven seasons prior to the trade. So is there a lingering resentment that is keeping No. 7 off the Cardinals’ roster of retired numbers? Not likely. Medwick was back in a Cardinals uniform for the 1947 and ‘48 seasons and spend his retirement as a hitting instructor for the club. He died in 1975 and is buried in St. Lucas Cemetery in Sunset Hills, Mo. His tombstone even includes the image of a cardinal perched on a bat.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I drove past an actual Nazi rally in Austin Saturday. They hung a banner from the highway overpass that said VAX THE JEWS, and they were seig heiling for the passing cars. Man, [expletive] Nazis.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

heyzeus wrote:
October 25 21, 8:02 am
I drove past an actual Nazi rally in Austin Saturday. They hung a banner from the highway overpass that said VAX THE JEWS, and they were seig heiling for the passing cars. Man, [expletive] Nazis.
Chilling.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Damn, Zeus. I'm so sorry for you and your fam.

I've always been very anti-gun, but I've been considering it more and more lately. Sh.t like this only makes that thought grow stronger. Something is still brewing here. With the big lie prospering, voting rights bill not getting passed, GOP getting "big-lie-friendly" AGs and election officials in place in many states, the response of people like Blunt (who originally seemed appalled by Jan 6 but are now saying sh.t like "the real insurrection happened on Nov 3rd")... I just still feel like a new civil war might be brewing. It was just postponed some. I don't trust Dems to be able to maneuver fast enough to squash it, either.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

GeddyWrox wrote:
October 25 21, 8:52 am

I've always been very anti-gun, but I've been considering it more and more lately. Sh.t like this only makes that thought grow stronger. Something is still brewing here. With the big lie prospering, voting rights bill not getting passed, GOP getting "big-lie-friendly" AGs and election officials in place in many states, the response of people like Blunt (who originally seemed appalled by Jan 6 but are now saying sh.t like "the real insurrection happened on Nov 3rd")... I just still feel like a new civil war might be brewing. It was just postponed some. I don't trust Dems to be able to maneuver fast enough to squash it, either.
Or have the balls (chutzpah, backbone, courage, will...) to deal with it either.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
October 25 21, 9:26 am
GeddyWrox wrote:
October 25 21, 8:52 am

Or have the balls (chutzpah, backbone, courage, will...) to deal with it either.
I do think the Jan 6 commission is "trying". I see two potential issues. 1) What if they (Bannon, etc) ignore the subpoenas and eventually the enforcement stalls out. Congress voted to send to DOJ for contempt of congress, but who knows how that will play out. Does the DOJ have the balls to enforce? Will the courts intercede? I'm dubious that Bannon, et al, will see real consequences for defying congress. 2) Running out the clock... if Rs get the majority in the house, all this just disappears. And they're trying to install "big lie" people at the state level in as many states as they can to ensure that that happens.

Dems are trying to do this by the book, because if they don't Rs will just cry foul anyway. Yet going by the book is so slow and tedious that it may never have the chance to finish.

Sorry to have made this post political. This could easily go in the Criticizing Dems thread, or the Insurrection thread, too. It's just on my mind and Zeus's post triggered more warning flags for me.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I agree - we are at a point where one side of the political spectrum has decided anything is justified to get power while the other side is still trying to play by the rules. It sure feels like we are past the point-of-no-return.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I, too, agree that Joe Medwick's number should be retired, as should naziism/fascism/anti-semitism! Retire all that stuff!

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yes on retiring Medwick's number!