Gateway Redbirds

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Gateway Redbirds

Post by ghostrunner »

Also, i fall into it myself, but you can just not respond to that person you think is being crazy. It really does work most of the time. Until someone cracks.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

thrill wrote:
October 4 21, 12:22 pm
I'm not going to comment on specific people leaving or toxic topics, because not everyone always should leave room in their life for stuff like message boards if it isn't making them happy. I've taken long periods where I don't post or lurk.

The long-term future of this board is kind of set in stone, like all similar message boards. Look around and ask yourself how many women are active posters anymore? How many people under 30, let alone 25? These boards have ceased being the place for social discussions online for pretty much everyone except those that were in during the heyday. We're still going strong compared to so many similar boards and we will continue to for a while, but eventually we're all going to die off/age out/find better ways to engage with our team. It's the community that holds it together, and if you don't fit in with the community, I totally understand it not being worth it anymore.
Yeah, true. Too bad given that the replacements are so much worse. And they won’t connect me to all the people I’ve enjoyed getting to know here.

Entering my middle aged crabby guy phase or real decline? Who’s to say.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

In 2006, I joined as a 16 year old. There was no Facebook, and not many places to have a reasonable conversation.

How many 16 year olds do you think spend time here now? I would guess 0. There are Facebook groups, discords, Jomboy video comments, Tik Tok and a million other places where younger people converse.

Why read long posts when you can watch a funny 2 minute video? It's a shame, because I feel like this place played a big part in my development into an adult. I learned a lot, although it may not seem like it!

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I think a lot of the points mentioned are true: this site became a habit for me at a time when it was a good option to talk about and learn about Cardinals baseball. Cards Talk really was a good lesson in internet toxicity and learning to step away and not feed the trolls. GRB also was fortunate: it achieved a good number of board members, possibly because its birth coincided with a championship. It's often had enough people to sustain conversations and keep them fresh and interesting, and provide additional information because we have a good variety of posters from different walks of life. I've learned a lot while I've been on this board.

It is true that we may ultimately age out. That's true of most of my life. My field (academia) is in decline. I volunteer for a non-profit (a chamber music society) that gets older by the minute (although it's in good financial shape, oddly enough). My former church declined so much that I just walked away from it. And yes, I do wish we had a greater variety of posters, and younger posters.

At the same time, I've seen a lot of similar boards disappear while this one kept on going. Our sister forum, letsgoblues, has trouble sustaining much conversation about the Blues. The people here have plenty of knowledge and interests. And I've got other irons in the fire, too, so if this goes by the wayside, I understand but can move on to the other things that interest me.

Still, I've really enjoyed my time here, and appreciated the thoughts, knowledge, and perspectives of people here far more than I have expressed.

There are certainly several things I regret typing, but for the most part, it's still a rewarding site for me. But I do hate to see posters leave--often people I deeply respect, even if I don't always agree with them.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

For the record, no one is allowed to leave GRB. Those that attempt to will be sued for breach of contract. Zeus and Lipp have a stack of threatening letters ready to mail to any would be defectors.

Consider yourselves advised.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

G. Keenan wrote:
October 6 21, 10:42 am
For the record, no one is allowed to leave GRB. Those that attempt to will be sued for breach of contract. Zeus and Lipp have a stack of threatening letters ready to mail to any would be defectors.

I prefer to call it a "strongly worded letter".

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
October 6 21, 12:14 pm
G. Keenan wrote:

If I can sue the governor of Texas, I can sue all of you. Be advised.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

heyzeus wrote:
October 6 21, 1:40 pm
stlouie_lipp wrote:
October 6 21, 12:14 pm
G. Keenan wrote:

If I can sue the governor of Texas, I can sue all of you. Be advised.
A boy named sue.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

TGantz wrote:
October 4 21, 9:58 am
There's at least a tiny bit of respect shown and history to sustain the relationships.
That's because people around here iron their pants and order a real soft drink

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I don't post in the politics forum, or even really look at it, because I know it would irritate me. I've been on message boards for 20 years, though, and certainly it took me a while to learn that lesson.