Feral Hogs

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: Feral Hogs

Post by Leroy »

I have just found a name for my next band project.

fungusboi
Single A Minor League Player

Post by fungusboi »

what did you mean by "it felt nice" in relation to feeling like a serial killer? just curious.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

fungusboi wrote:
December 18 21, 2:57 am
what did you mean by "it felt nice" in relation to feeling like a serial killer? just curious.
It was sarcasm. But I do actually hope my vile wretch of a neighbor saw me hosing off the blood and is scared to ever talk to me or anyone in my family again.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

heyzeus wrote:
December 20 21, 11:27 am
fungusboi wrote:
It was sarcasm. But I do actually hope my vile wretch of a neighbor saw me hosing off the blood and is scared to ever talk to me or anyone in my family again.
The sarcasm was clear, which made me wonder about the bot-iness of the response.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

sighyoung wrote:
December 20 21, 12:00 pm
heyzeus wrote:
December 20 21, 11:27 am
fungusboi wrote:
The sarcasm was clear, which made me wonder about the bot-iness of the response.
Yeah, high chance of that. Hey @fungusboi prove to me you're not a bot or we're placing you in the GRB dungeon of despair.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Radbird wrote:
December 17 21, 2:23 pm
I was certain this would be about this story…
This looks like the deer pop up here in STL county. No natural predators. It's a problem, for sure. I'm not a hunter but I am in favor of bow hunting hogs and deer year-round to keep population down.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

GeddyWrox wrote:
December 20 21, 1:28 pm
Radbird wrote:
December 17 21, 2:23 pm
I was certain this would be about this story…
This looks like the deer pop up here in STL county. No natural predators. It's a problem, for sure. I'm not a hunter but I am in favor of bow hunting hogs and deer year-round to keep population down.
Oh wow, I used to live a few miles from here. When I was 16, my family moved from St Louis to Fort Bend County, Texas, which is a suburb of Houston. I don't recall ever seeing wild hogs back then, but I did explore the fields that became this subdivision back then.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

GeddyWrox wrote:
I'm not a hunter but I am in favor of bow hunting hogs and deer year-round to keep population down.
I'm in favor of relocating the deer to a more suitable habitat.

Can the feral hogs be added to the bacon supply, or is their meat not very... digestible?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

mikechamp wrote:
December 20 21, 2:50 pm
GeddyWrox wrote:
I'm not a hunter but I am in favor of bow hunting hogs and deer year-round to keep population down.
I'm in favor of relocating the deer to a more suitable habitat.

Can the feral hogs be added to the bacon supply, or is their meat not very... digestible?
No such thing as bad bacon.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I've never had feral hog, but according to youtube, you can eat it.

Never heard of relocating deer, but wouldn't be surprised in the least if their numbers are already at saturation almost everywhere. There are certainly a ton of them in our area. We had some wake us up the other night as they were on our back deck. Hooves just clomping around being loud AF. We live in the middle of a subdivision in the middle of a city. I've also seen coyotes though not recently. My buddy has a deer camp out in the woods and I went hunting a couple years ago though shooting deer doesn't really sound like fun, drinking whisky and sitting in the woods is fine by me. Told him I didn't really want to shoot anything he said, well, if you don't, someone will run into it with their car, so might as well shoot it. Ha. Still, I couldn't.

Back to feral hogs, I don't think they're very easy to hunt. This would be evidenced by their massive numbers despite a perpetual open season on them with no bag limits, no restraints on hunting methods, and lack of license needed to hunt them. Not many animals can withstand those types of liberal allowances along with the ire of farmers while maintaining healthy populations. Their ability to eat damn near anything, get to damn near anything, avoid humans, and reproduce quickly all likely contribute. A friend of mine used to raise pigs and he insists they're smart as [expletive]. Those that do hunt them tend to have to bait them for a long time or use sophisticated night vision/hunting equipment, other popular methods are trapping them with the use of electronic/remote controlled gates, heavy duty fencing, bait, and game cameras; using dogs to track them; or shooting them out of a helicopter. Point being, it's not like deer where you can just wander into the woods, sit in a stand for an hour, and see/shoot one.