Life Is SO Short

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
mtcefc
Everyday Player

Life Is SO Short

Post by mtcefc »

I started my current job in January, i'm not going into details but the last 13 years or so after I was made redundant at a place I loved have been tough. You shouldn't compare exes (in any capacity) I suppose and try and find that same feeling again, but stupidly I did and that resulted in a lot of firings and hireings and not really feeling settled anywhere. Lot's of anxiety and stress about life in general, it really doesn't matter.

On my first day here (in England) I could see the desktop background on this guy's computer was a baseball stadium, he has his icons everywhere so I couldn't properly make it out, so I asked where it was and it was Fenway (I know!). Anyway, that is where our friendship started. We would talk about baseball, I am ignorant of the American League but obviously I know the Red Sox and maybe a few players.

He knew all about St. Louis, we talked about Molina and Pujols, talked about my trips I had been on over the years. We also had a mutual appreciation of cricket and would talk about that when the season was on over here. It was different than the usual football (soccer) chat you get at most work places.

More important than this, due to my anxiety on top of the general stress of being in a new job, he had worked here for 13 years, he was part of the furniture. I could get a call from an idiot customer and he would just laugh and say "Oh, you do X, Y and Z, email Joe Bloggs, job done" a great down to earth guy.

He helped me settle in and become part of the team and feel calm at work and not go to bed on Sunday nights dreading Monday morning.

I probably subliminally chose my trip to Boston this year because of him, not in a spiteful way, just a "Come on man, just do it!" kind of way.

When I told him I was going he was more excited than me, I set up a countdown on an app on my phone and every few days he would say "How many days to go now, Michael" and I would say "120!" or whatever.

He looked up places to go for me, he would send me websites and places to visit, he had been to San Diego for baseball, but that was it.

During my trip a couple of weeks ago I emailed him a couple of pictures and said how great Boston was. I didn't get a reply, but I thought maybe because my email address is hotmail still, it might have gone into his spam box.

I got him a couple of souvenirs from Fenway, nothing spectacular, a bottle opener on a keyring and an ice cream helmet. I also got a fridge magnet from Boston (and St. Louis) for our works fridge which is covered in magnets from all over the world.

I got back to work on Monday and asked where he was and a lady who worked with him as long as he has been here said he wasn't very well. Last night my boss called me at 9pm to tell me he died in hospital yesterday. This isn't a member of my family, but I don't think you realise how much time you spend with people you work with, they kind of become family in a way.

Work has been horrible this morning, but it is obvious with all the emotion shown by everyone that he was a well liked and respected member of the organisation.

They have offered support for us, two senior managers have been to check I am ok as we obviously built up a friendship, but to say this has been a shock is selling it short.I don't know how the lady has coped. The guy was only 39.

I suppose my general point is don't put anything off, just effing do it. You never know what is round the corner. Obviously you have to be careful financially, but in general, go for it.

I just wanted to get this down in writing really, for my friend Martin who liked baseball, even if it was the Red Sox.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Life Is SO Short

Post by thrill »

Rest in peace, Martin.

Work friends who truly have your back and become real friends are a rare and magical thing.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

A very touching story. I'm really sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Thanks for sharing your story. And for the life advice.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Condolences for the loss of your friend. Friendships are great treasures. Godspeed Martin.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

So sorry to hear.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I'm sorry to hear this story. You're absolutely correct - we spend a lot of time with our work colleagues. For better sometimes or for worse sometimes, in many cases we see them more than our own family. It sounds like he was the "for better" type who made your office a better place to be. I'm sorry for your loss.