Tech bros

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Tech bros

Post by ghostrunner »

G. Keenan wrote:
December 5 22, 12:11 pm
No doubt Bojan Tunguz's wife just loved him mansplaining to her why her profession is soon to collapse as the knowledge and teaching skills she spent a lifetime accumulating and refining can now be replaced by a chat bot, in his opinion. Real esteem you have your spouse there, bro.
It's interesting how little people who are excited or even just fatalistic about the prospect of AI and automation appear to be concerned about the effects of taking so many jobs away. Andrew Yang is cringey and lame in so many ways, but I at least give him some credit for broaching the subject.

Like if you really think we're on the cusp of this and you're not actually benefitting from it, then shouldn't you be a bit worried about, you know, everyone? Including yourself?

Just read this tweet, which got me thinking about it again.
[SHOW]

The AI art thing is really fascinating. The guy is not wrong. AI art is built to learn crib from existing art and photographs that nobody consented to being used as input. Similar to how the chatbot learns. There's a lot of concern (mostly online chatter, to be fair) from illustrators about this putting them out of work, which seems well-founded to me having seen the quality of the output. Seems much more imminent than writers or teachers being replaced. The only real solution I see is outside pressure on the people that usually employ artists, urging them not to use it. I'm not very confident in that.