Tech bros

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Tech bros

Post by ghostrunner »

Maybe a sustained nationwide power loss would be a good thing.

(Chat GPT is an online chatbot)

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Tech bros

Post by G. Keenan »

Yes, life is best when every human experience is mediated by a screen. Who needs to know how to get along with other people? Education is just facts you download into your brain.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

The human race is doomed. I'm not sure if it will last 50 years or 500 but the end isn't going to be pretty.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

No doubt Bojan Tunguz's wife just loved him mansplaining to her why her profession is soon to collapse as the knowledge and teaching skills she spent a lifetime accumulating and refining can now be replaced by a chat bot, in his opinion. Real esteem you have your spouse there, bro.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Hasn't this always been the case?

Seems apropos...
We have access to, and have had access to, all the information that's taught in whatever subject at whatever school sans some (most) of the lab materials. The internet has made it easier, cheaper, and quicker to obtain. But...that's not the point.

Education isn't just reading a book or memorizing equations/laws/concepts/etc but rather understanding the why behind those topics as well as the ability to properly identify when they're applicable and when not. JMO. Outside the top of the top, reading a book isn't equivalent to taking a class where the book is used as a source to help explain the material. Again, jmo.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

As a long time AI skeptic, I’ve got to admit that these recent developments are genuinely impressive. It seems like it’s possible to take the massive quantity of easily accessible content on the internet to build a kind of actual hive mind.

The implications of this are unclear, but it seems like few are confident that our social structures will actually use new technology to build a better world. Even the great tech oligarchs seems to believe on some level that they’re actually destroying the world, so they need plans to escape to Mars, New Zealand, or whatever.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

No snark : are these AIs able to probe for and figure out why someone is not understanding some point? To truly teach well, that is a prerequisite imo. Good teachers are able to frame the knowledge in different ways for different students needs.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

G. Keenan wrote:
December 5 22, 12:11 pm
No doubt Bojan Tunguz's wife just loved him mansplaining to her why her profession is soon to collapse as the knowledge and teaching skills she spent a lifetime accumulating and refining can now be replaced by a chat bot, in his opinion. Real esteem you have your spouse there, bro.
Hahahaha

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Arthur Dent wrote:
December 5 22, 1:14 pm
As a long time AI skeptic, I’ve got to admit that these recent developments are genuinely impressive. It seems like it’s possible to take the massive quantity of easily accessible content on the internet to build a kind of actual hive mind.
I'm in a similar boat, I've been a skeptic and especially of earlier products that use AI as a buzzword to describe decision tree stuff that has been around for ages, but there's some fast-improving work that can lead to some really interesting products. I end up torn because you do need to have some imagination to be able to see some of that future application and inevitably it won't all be as good as you hope, but I really wish more people involved in the tech world had the intellectual curiosity to try to understand other fields so they can really see the true benefit they think can be improved/replaced via tech.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

G. Keenan wrote:
December 5 22, 10:38 am
Yes, life is best when every human experience is mediated by a screen. Who needs to know how to get along with other people? Education is just facts you download into your brain.
I have to admit, I read “mediated” as “medicated” and your statement still made perfect sense to me.