Media Framing

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Media Framing

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

This is a rant. I am convincing myself that the media is a good bit of the problem regarding society's pessimism. Maybe it's more of a symptom but it could certainly be part of the cure.

First, there is no question that many of the stories we view and read are tragedies / bad news. But there is a systematic lack of even-handedness that keeps things dark and bleak.

Case in point: The coverage of this winter's wet weather in California/Oregon. The articles in the NYTimes feed have the following verbs and adjectives:
'crippling', 'lashing', 'battles', 'destructive', 'misery'... you get the idea.

But you know what we who are in the middle of it are doing? We are being very thankful. We are addressing the felled trees and blown away possessions with almost relief. This 'atmospheric river' is a true godsend to our parched states. We look at the rising water levels in the reservoirs with smiles. I am 99% sure that the collective mental health of people in these parts is BETTER rather than worse. The trees we have to clear and repairs we need to make are peanuts compared to what all this rains means for our agriculture, wells, and parched forests.

The media is always there for the tragedies but never lets people hear the good news. Feh.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Media Framing

Post by IMADreamer »

Still holds true today.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Very much agree, joe. It's a shame.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

IMO a very good read about how media editors flood the zone with pro police propaganda while ignoring significantly more consequential social problems, all under the guise of "objectivity:"

https://equalityalec.substack.com/p/the ... oEPGfmUKKU

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 9 23, 10:08 am
IMO a very good read about how media editors flood the zone with pro police propaganda while ignoring significantly more consequential social problems, all under the guise of "objectivity:"

https://equalityalec.substack.com/p/the ... oEPGfmUKKU
Thanks for that. So depressing...

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

It's depressing to think how old this video is but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread.