The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: I'm completely exhausted with everything

Post by thrill »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
February 23 23, 12:34 pm
Smoke some good weed and enjoy music!
This is evergreen advice that can be universally applied to any issue, good or bad.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Speaking of this topic, I got my first legal THC last weekend. Some hybrid gummies. 100MG THC, 100MG CBD (hoping for some pain relief side benefits too).

I never thought this day would come. **wipes tear off cheek**

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

thrill wrote:
February 23 23, 3:40 pm
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
This is evergreen advice that can be universally applied to any issue, good or bad.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

:lol: :lol:

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

This will shock some of you and others not so much, but I have never had weed or any drugs really. I have drank occasionally, and it seems like more in the last few years than ever.

So I took some advice and haven't looked at the internet, except for GRB. When I got home tonight I went down to my workshop, turned on some music and worked on a prototype I've been working on for a few weeks. When I was done for the night I was as satisfied and calm as I've been for a while. Usually I listen to a podcast or have youtube videos playing in the background. Tonight was much more productive.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Glad to hear, @IMADreamer.

Don't want to hijack this thread, sorry if this does that. But, I feel like, with no statistics or anything to back it up, that social media/digital addiction is becoming a real thing. It's pretty well known that social media, whatever type, causes a release of dopamine. Which...pretty sure that's at least a part of how nicotine, alcohol, et al gets people addicted. Just found this link on the topic tangentially related as its focused on teens/like/shares but...brains are brains. And, I'm pretty sure I've read in the past that likes/shares/comments aren't the only way the brain is tricked into releasing dopamine through social media...

https://www.jeffersonhealth.org/your-he ... .%E2%80%9D
“Social media platforms drive surges of dopamine to the brain to keep consumers coming back over and over again. The shares, likes and comments on these platforms trigger the brain’s reward center, resulting in a high similar to the one people feel when gambling or using drugs.”
Regardless, it's also well known social media algorithms which are becoming better and better are driven to keep users on site. Facebook, twitter, youtube, etc. They all do this.

Throw in that the, likely, best way to do this is with bombastic headlines, content designed to drive fear and/or outrage, and emotion triggering topics; it's easy to see why/how people spend increasing amounts of time digitally.

And, all that is assuming people are not using it as a source of information (aka the news). If so, it becomes exponentially worse, imo, because there is SO. MUCH. CONTENT. Do people listen to Podcast A. Or Podcast B or C or D. Or Youtube Channel A or B or C or D or F. Or read Twitter Article A or etc etc etc. I feel like one person could literally spend a lifetime and not get through all the content produced/published in a single day across social media. Not that there is a need to, but the sheer amount of 'news/content' put out in a single day is mind boggling.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

G. Keenan wrote:
February 23 23, 3:53 pm
thrill wrote:
February 23 23, 3:40 pm
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

1) that's an absolute unit of a bowl he packed
2) extremely accurate

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I am not making light of this. I've been there. We all have.

When I'm there I am so glad I have something as seemingly meaningless as my fiddle to help me get out.

I'm not saying everyone needs to do music, just something you really like to do. Helps to forget about the crap for awhile.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

My brain must be wired differently, because I never found social media very appealing. I tried to keep up on Twitter back in like 2011 or 2012, but I got to where I was following too many people/entities/feeds and I just couldn't keep up. So I stopped trying to keep up and altogether stopped looking at it at all.

Facebook holds near zero appeal to me. I only use it for my company. Same for LinkedIn, though I should probably pay a little closer attention to that for professional purposes. I go onto Instagram maybe once a month, and I'm barely on there when I do visit.

I've never been on Tik Tok... or mySpace. :D

As I've mentioned numerous times, I will watch BBC World News because I appreciate the outsider's perspective. They are much less emotional/flamboyant with their delivery, and they really limit the opinion spewers. It's mostly just facts and old-fashioned reporting.

Enjoy the peace & quiet for a little while, @IMADreamer. It'll really help. Oh, and so will the three NL Central comments I'm going to post later today.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Leroy wrote:
February 24 23, 9:49 am
I am not making light of this. I've been there. We all have.

When I'm there I am so glad I have something as seemingly meaningless as my fiddle to help me get out.

I'm not saying everyone needs to do music, just something you really like to do. Helps to forget about the crap for awhile.
I do play bass guitar and I've been slacking off a bit lately because my hands are giving me some trouble but I agree that losing myself in music is a great way to unwind.