Tinnitus

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Tinnitus

Post by ghostrunner »

Planning to see a doctor soon, but curious if anyone else has developed this recently or post-middle age and if you found anything that helped.

I just noticed it in the last few months. From what I've read it can come with age, but also has a variety of other causes. Sometimes goes away on it's own.

I don't really notice it unless I'm just sitting somewhere quiet. Just a high pitched tone that doesn't stop. So I've got to have music or white noise going now in those situations. Kind of a bummer because I've always liked the quiet.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Tinnitus

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I will occasionally get some tinnitus when I'm trying to fall asleep, but it seems to come and go and hasn't really affected me.

I don't want to derail ghost's thread, but one thing that has happened to me only within the past couple of months is if I yawn or burp or something like that, if I close my mouth too aggressively, I hear a rumbling noise in my ears, like far away thunder. I don't know if that's an age thing or not.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I've had it most of my life. I know that when my blood pressure is up, it's worse.

Unfortunately I think there are a lot of quack "cures" out there. I don't know of any that work. If anyone has treated tinnitus successfully, I'm very curious.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

ghostrunner wrote:
May 2 23, 11:40 am
Planning to see a doctor soon, but curious if anyone else has developed this recently or post-middle age and if you found anything that helped.

I just noticed it in the last few months. From what I've read it can come with age, but also has a variety of other causes. Sometimes goes away on it's own.

I don't really notice it unless I'm just sitting somewhere quiet. Just a high pitched tone that doesn't stop. So I've got to have music or white noise going now in those situations. Kind of a bummer because I've always liked the quiet.
Yes. Is it unilateral or bilateral? Unilateral (one ear) = see a doctor asap. It could be actual hearing loss.

I had ear surgery on my left ear. And now I can hear again. Best decision ever. Played bass guitar in loud bands in my teens and 20s, plus meningitis as a kid didn't help. My left ear was always [expletive]. Smoking weed also made the tinnitus worse. Surgery cost about $30k when I did it. It's like a second car payment you didn't ask for but so worth not having screaming tinnitus every morning waking up. I just got that paid off too recently. Moving onto laser eye next.

I had it bad since my late 20s. Went to an ENT, got a professional cleaning and all just to get the stuff way deep, still had a wide range of frequencies I couldn't hit with my left year. There's options these days that didn't exist even 20 years ago.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

had it forever...don't notice it till it's quiet at night.

but I have a noise maker to drown it out, so it doesn't affect me at all

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
May 2 23, 3:32 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
May 2 23, 11:40 am

Yes. Is it unilateral or bilateral? Unilateral (one ear) = see a doctor asap. It could be actual hearing loss.

I had ear surgery on my left ear. And now I can hear again. Best decision ever. Played bass guitar in loud bands in my teens and 20s, plus meningitis as a kid didn't help. My left ear was always [expletive]. Smoking weed also made the tinnitus worse. Surgery cost about $30k when I did it. It's like a second car payment you didn't ask for but so worth not having screaming tinnitus every morning waking up. I just got that paid off too recently. Moving onto laser eye next.

I had it bad since my late 20s. Went to an ENT, got a professional cleaning and all just to get the stuff way deep, still had a wide range of frequencies I couldn't hit with my left year. There's options these days that didn't exist even 20 years ago.
Both ears. Though it’s more like coming from inside my head, so hard to say it’s the ears even. I hear it with my fingers in my ears.

It’s tolerable, and I don’t notice it when I’m active. Just hope it doesn’t get worse. I’ve seen it can also be caused by other conditions so I’ll see what my doctor suggests.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I had it off and on in my early 20's due to destroying my ear drums via loud music (I play the drums) but since I quit playing music due to lack of space/noise, it has stopped.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Stoutdude04
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Stoutdude04 »

My buddy has it. Has had it unilaterally for the last 9 months or so. His is being caused by a (suspected) non-cancerous tumor pushing on the nerves on that side of his head. He has to get a cochlear implant and they have to cut the tumor out sometime over the summer.

He is absolutely miserable every time I see him. Doctors have said the tinnitus is from his brain trying to hear sound(?) even though it is no longer able. It sounds awful.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I pay my undefined 6 pence per week and they are none the richer.