Mizzou Football 2011

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by JL21 »

BigDCardlvr wrote:Asu is a good team. Mizzou has like 64 key injuries and made it a game. I enjoyed watching it and am impressed with all they overcame to be in that game. Room for growth to be sure, but they really did pretty well. Coach has to get some short yardage plays and should have called something different at the end to get a few more yards.

And I love the way James goes about playing the game. No flash, no emotion. No excuses. Act like it isn't the first time and it won't be the last time. He will quietly lead this team to some big victories.
I agree with a lot of this, although it's hard not to be alarmed at the pass defense (that's going to be a big concern moving forward). Also, they really need to tighten up the sloppy penalties. That's two weeks in a row where they've shot themselves in the foot entirely too many times.

We've seen Franklin twice now and we've probably seen as good as he can be, as a sophomore, and as bad as he can be (last week). Bringing your team back from down 14 points in the 4th quarter is a real quick way to endear yourself to the fans.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25225
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by Leroy »

Last night was the first time I've seen this Franklin kid, so I don't know how bad he was last week. He seemed to settle in last night and play pretty well and seemed to keep his composure. That little running back could also be a weapon, but Mizzou always seems to forget towards the end of games that you can also run the ball.

On the other hand, ASU seemed to fall in love with the pass also, even though it seemed like they were running it just fine.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by JL21 »

Leroy wrote:Last night was the first time I've seen this Franklin kid, so I don't know how bad he was last week. He seemed to settle in last night and play pretty well and seemed to keep his composure. That little running back could also be a weapon, but Mizzou always seems to forget towards the end of games that you can also run the ball.
The thing is, injuries have gutted them of all depth at RB. So Josey was their only real option for 95% of the game. And he's not used to taking that kind of beating at all- they typically go with a three back rotation this year. But since two of the three are injured, one had to shoulder the load. And he's not really that kind of player, you know? He's lightning in a bottle. And he's not the kind of big bruiser who can come after the opposition play after play after play.

Even if he could have, they were trailing for the majority of the 4th quarter and needed to play catch-up. So the run-pass ratio went out of whack. Maybe they could've gotten him the ball a few more times (I'm sure they could have) but it makes some sense that he didn't get too many carries late in the game.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25225
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by Leroy »

Yeah, I understand that. I think the announcers mentioned that too.

From what little I have seen of Missouri over the last few years, they are pretty good when they are close or in the lead and keep their foot on the throttle, but really struggle when they get behind by a bit. I guess you can say that for anybody though.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by JL21 »

I found myself thinking the same thing last night.

Hey, did you guys know that Brock Osweiler is 6'8" and 240 lbs.?

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Leroy wrote:Last night was the first time I've seen this Franklin kid, so I don't know how bad he was last week. He seemed to settle in last night and play pretty well and seemed to keep his composure. That little running back could also be a weapon, but Mizzou always seems to forget towards the end of games that you can also run the ball.

On the other hand, ASU seemed to fall in love with the pass also, even though it seemed like they were running it just fine.
It's a fine line. Josey was very effective, but he's also the only running back left on the roster that's healthy. Add in that passing helps preserve time for the comeback, and I can understand why they didn't ride him as much down the stretch.

ASU had to pass because their running backs were averaging like 1.5 yards per carry after the first quarter.

User avatar
BigDCardlvr
All-Star
Posts: 1548
Joined: May 19 06, 11:54 pm

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by BigDCardlvr »

JL21 wrote:
BigDCardlvr wrote:Asu is a good team. Mizzou has like 64 key injuries and made it a game. I enjoyed watching it and am impressed with all they overcame to be in that game. Room for growth to be sure, but they really did pretty well. Coach has to get some short yardage plays and should have called something different at the end to get a few more yards.

And I love the way James goes about playing the game. No flash, no emotion. No excuses. Act like it isn't the first time and it won't be the last time. He will quietly lead this team to some big victories.
I agree with a lot of this, although it's hard not to be alarmed at the pass defense (that's going to be a big concern moving forward). Also, they really need to tighten up the sloppy penalties. That's two weeks in a row where they've shot themselves in the foot entirely too many times.

We've seen Franklin twice now and we've probably seen as good as he can be, as a sophomore, and as bad as he can be (last week). Bringing your team back from down 14 points in the 4th quarter is a real quick way to endear yourself to the fans.
If the defense has smith and eber(?) I think that's a different game. But what happened to em on the d certainly needs to be addressed.

And I don't think you've seen James' best game yet. Wait you said as a soph- I can live with that assessment.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by Freed Roger »

It was a pretty good showing considering being on the road and having the injuries. However - what doesn't bode well for the rest of the season was the offense- outside of a few big plays it seemed to be just Franklin freestyling and scrambling for first downs against what appeared to be a suspect ASU defense. better defenses aren't going to give up that much garbage yards.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by JL21 »

@Dave_Matter
Henry Josey in 1st quarter: eight carries - 129 yards (16.1 per carry) and two TDs
Neat.

Also, so far, Mizzou is outgaining Western Illinois 328 to 32; Franklin is 10-for-12 with 152 yards; and they're up 28-0. Not that it was unexpected, but it's still nice to see some really gaudy numbers.

User avatar
BigDCardlvr
All-Star
Posts: 1548
Joined: May 19 06, 11:54 pm

Re: Mizzou Football 2011

Post by BigDCardlvr »

Yeah, but how tall is their quarterback?

Post Reply