"The Wire" Appreciation Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Team
Everyday Player

Re: "The Wire" Appreciation Thread

Post by Team »

Things that I really enjoyed about the first season (I spoilered them even though I don't think I've given anything away)
[SHOW]
-lots of memorable quotes that are the basis for a lot of the episodes. "You come at the king, you best not miss" is great.
-the chess scene where D'Angelo explains why chess is better than checkers and uses the drug game as an analogy to how each piece moves (I don't even know how to play chess and this analogy helped me understand it more than knowing how certain pieces move)
-just how sheltered some of these people are and it's not their fault. Wallace having to take care of those kids and get them to school, not understanding what life outside of the projects and The Game is all about
-Omar. I'm still trying to get a grasp of what his character is going to turn into. I know he's a popular character and he's a very strong presence in all scenes he is in. My ears are already trained to get excited anytime I hear "The Farmer in the Dell"
-pulling for Bubbs even though it seems like he'll never kick his addiction
-trying to figure out what I would do in these situations if I had to be there, especially in each position from the law enforcement side
-the "where's Wallace" thing just showing how much these guys care for one another, even though they are on the wrong side of the law and don't care much for people outside of their network, they are still a family

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The good news is, we eventually found Wallace - he became the quarterback for the East Dillon Lions, and Coach Taylor really helped him make something of his life.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

heyzeus wrote:The good news is, we eventually found Wallace - he became the quarterback for the East Dillon Lions, and Coach Taylor really helped him make something of his life.
Hope he's doing good at TMU. I'm not a big college football guy so I haven't kept up with his career.

Team
Everyday Player

Post by Team »

Season 2 in the books. I can see why some are disappointed with it but also understand why it was made the way it was. Here are some of my thoughts:
[SHOW]
-I can't believe they would kill D'Angelo. I mean I should've been prepared after Wallace was killed in the first season, but D'Angelo was such a good character that they could've done so many things with. But again, this series is much closer to true life than TV, so I get it, just liked the character which is crazy considering how he is introduced in the series opener

-The stevedore plotline was almost as enlightening as the drug ring jsut because it opened up my eyes to a life that I've never seen as far as shipping and unions are concerned

-There are a lot of parrallels between the first 2 seasons and also withing season 2 with the stevedors and the Barksdale clan, very subtle yet complex at the same time

-I've known many Ziggy's in my life, they are too reactionary and don't think things through, yet think they know everything.

-No surprise about Frank, I knew when they were waiting til the next day for the lawyer that he was going to get killed

-I doubt I see Nick again, but I'd really like to know how his life is in witness protection and also what happens with the Greek, just because
I'm already into season 3, glad to they are where they are and looking forward to this next arc.

Team
Everyday Player

Post by Team »

So I finished the series this weekend. Took about a month. Holy expletive was that good. I've already started from the beginning to see what forshadowing and parallels I missed the first time through. That Sepinwell blog really helped out along the way, especially at the beginning of the seasons to help sort out all the new characters. Quite the novel on television.

I'd rank the seasons as 4,1,3,2,5. With 5 being last only because one has to be there. That being said, the last 3-4 episodes were some of the best I've ever seen on tv.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Team wrote:So I finished the series this weekend. Took about a month. Holy expletive was that good. I've already started from the beginning to see what forshadowing and parallels I missed the first time through. That Sepinwell blog really helped out along the way, especially at the beginning of the seasons to help sort out all the new characters. Quite the novel on television.

I'd rank the seasons as 4,1,3,2,5. With 5 being last only because one has to be there. That being said, the last 3-4 episodes were some of the best I've ever seen on tv.
Yeah, 5 gets a lot of valid criticism because of the McNulty/serial killer nonsense. But it also has some great stuff - the rise of Marlo, the new generation of ruthless drug lord. Chris and Snoop. "How my hair look." And it really was a series with a tremendous resolution. You see where people wound up, and you see the cycle continuing ever onward.

btw, I liked Season 2 except for Ziggy. The Wire didn't need a wacky sidekick.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I agree with those season rankings.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

I'd flip-flop 1 and 3, but it's pretty negligible. They were both amazing.

And really, I think of seasons 1, 3, and 4 as interchangeable in general. They were all incredible.

Team
Everyday Player

Post by Team »

Yeah 1 and 3 are pretty similar for me. I probably gave 1 the nod just because it's the first and left a lasting impression on me plus it didn't have the political side to it. Yes the politics are a very integral part, I'm just not a big fan of Carcetti.

The boys from season 4...man I don't know how they found those kids but they did some outstanding acting. All the characters for the most part were pretty outstanding when it came to casting.

Now as far as opening credits music I'd probably go 1,5,4,3,2. Even though 2 was the original song it just took me a lot longer to get used to it. 1 and 5 were the best though.