We don't have a Serial Killer thread?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Vidor
You've just been hit by...VidorSmarm™

Re: We don't have a Serial Killer thread?

Post by Vidor »

If you ever want to read the Ted Bundy story, don't get that Ann Rule book. Buy this one:

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

Ted Bundy was from Tacoma and his mother passed away recently.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/1 ... 48185.html

I remember one time my dad was driving me and my mom at night in Ted's old neighborhood, at a time when he was on the run, and Dad said, "There's Ted Bundy!" and Mom nearly jumped out of her skin.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

It's amazing how intelligent the majority of serial killers are. Obviously you get your nutjobs who just off people and what not. But, those seem to get caught before they end up being serial killers. The guys like the BTK, dahmer, etc can be pretty elusive largely becuase they are so intelligent. They woulnd't exactly be the type of people, appearance wise, that you'd have nightmares about either. Anyway, yeah, they seem to be super smart, and super [expletive] up in the head.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:It's amazing how intelligent the majority of serial killers are. Obviously you get your nutjobs who just off people and what not. But, those seem to get caught before they end up being serial killers. The guys like the BTK, dahmer, etc can be pretty elusive largely becuase they are so intelligent. They woulnd't exactly be the type of people, appearance wise, that you'd have nightmares about either. Anyway, yeah, they seem to be super smart, and super [expletive] up in the head.
And I bet they have existed for a long time. I bet that's where monster stories and fairy tales come from - because there really were people who would eat you or put you in a boiling pot or whatever.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

With Michael Swango -convicted felon for poisoning co-worker emts, managed to subsequently get a medical license and bounce around the field, including a job as a chemist at a wastewater facility

A decent book called "Blind Eye" tells the tale. People knew this guy was crazed, but chose to not do much, in order to protect their institutions.

Vidor

Post by Vidor »

I dunno if they're really that intelligent. Dahmer wasn't all that bright, it was just that no one was paying attention. Joel Rifkin was driving around without a license plate, which the cops noticed, noticing the dead hooker in his trunk after they pulled him over. David Berkowitz got caught because he had received a ticket for being illegally parked at the scene of one of his murders.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

"Serial Killer" to me is a person who kills one or two people at a time over a long time period as opposed to the Adam Lanzas who blow away a dozen or so people at once. Pointing a semi-automatic rifle and pulling the trigger in a room full of people doesn't take much brains, but I can see where the serial-killer-as-twisted-genius stereotype comes from. Ted Bundy conducted his own defense at one point and I believe the judge said something like "it's a pity you decided to be a killer because you could have been a good lawyer."

Vidor

Post by Vidor »

Random bit of trivia (and as noted in the above post, not really a "serial killer" factoid in any event):

U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison was in class on the day Charles Whitman climbed up the tower at the U. of Texas. Oral history from Texas Monthly...

http://www.texasmonthly.com/cms/printth ... 2006-08-01

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Trying to keep things organized here on the board, hence the throwback thread bump:
How America's Deadliest Serial Killer Went Undetected for More Than 40 Years

America's most prolific serial killer operated for more than 30 years, targeting vulnerable, usually Black women, under the watch of an "indifferent" criminal justice system. That's according to part one of an in-depth investigation by the Washington Post, which interviewed experts and reviewed thousands of pages of legal documents to get a picture of Samuel Little's case file and learn how "it is possible to get away with murder."

"I'm not going to go over there into the white neighborhood and pick out a little teenage girl," Little told investigators. If he had, "this would have been the biggest story in the history of the United States," criminologist Scott Bonn tells the Post. Little instead targeted sex workers, addicts, runaways, women with mental disabilities, and other women, mostly Black, "whose deaths either went unnoticed or stirred little outrage," per the Post.

“If Little hadn’t confessed … then none of this would have been solved,” said Angela Williamson, a Justice Department official who worked on the case. Federal investigators believe his confessions are “100 percent credible,” she said.

When bodies surfaced, officials wrongly concluded the victims were struck by lightning or dropped dead from alcohol. All this illustrates that "it is possible to get away with murder if you kill people whose lives are already devalued by society," per the Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... /part-one/