Phone bills

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Phone bills

Post by Michael »

I have the latest google OS for personal and an iPhone 4 for work. Apple has a better app store, but overall I like the android interface (jellybean, version 4.3) more. I think the main problem people have with android is all the horrible custom interfaces and restrictions phone makers put pre-loaded on their phones. It's a shame really. That's why I like the Nexus phone because you get the purest form of their operating system and all updates day 1.

Really, my main issue with Apple is price. I can get a great android smartphone for 200 bucks but an unlocked iphone 5 is 700.

But Apple's products as a whole have never really clicked with me, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

I bought an iPhone 4S in October of 2011 and went with AT&T. My uncle bought one a year later and we went in together on a plan. It costs $165 a month, $77 of which he is responsible for. Unlimited talk/text but a 1GB limit on data, which drives me crazy. We have already maxed it out with 11 days left in the billing month. I'm thinking about switching carriers when my contract expires this fall, to Sprint and pay for unlimited data.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

No, I agree with that. I just don't have the time/smarts to figure out all android has to offer, and how to make it work how I want it to.

With the iPhone, its just ready right out of the box. 2 year olds can figure them out. They really can, as both mine did.

And the price of the phone doesn't bother me, since Verizon/att are the only ones that work here, and its 199 every 2 years with the contract.

And I know there are prepaids that supposedly use att/Verizon's towers....but I've tested them, and they just don't work. Now, it could be the phones I was testing....who knows.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

cardsfantx wrote:And I know there are prepaids that supposedly use att/Verizon's towers....but I've tested them, and they just don't work. Now, it could be the phones I was testing....who knows.
A buddy of mine keeps trying to convince me that Straight Talk is the best because it's cheap and uses the same towers, but he doesn't have a smart phone so I always wondered how it would stack up. I assume they have to be metered or lower priority or something.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

go birds wrote:was paying $88/month for 450 minutes and unlimited data/text, but i just recently lost my 20% discount from my old employer so now i pay like $115.

*sigh*
That's my exact plan (well what you had)...I've got my wife's iPad on there w/ a 3GB plan & my total bill is $110 or so.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

cardinalkarp wrote:
go birds wrote:was paying $88/month for 450 minutes and unlimited data/text, but i just recently lost my 20% discount from my old employer so now i pay like $115.

*sigh*
That's my exact plan (well what you had)...I've got my wife's iPad on there w/ a 3GB plan & my total bill is $110 or so.
And the problem is that when i choose to upgrade my iPhone 4s, i will lose my unlimited data plan i've been grandfathered into, assuming they don't just completely phase it out altogether.

I haven't looked at prices for plans lately, but last time i did, 4GB of data was the biggest most expensive plan and i'm pretty sure it's prolly more expensive than what i'm paying right now.

(i stream alot of stuff via my phone)

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

With Verizon at least, I didn't lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan when upgrading phone. Smart, I think, because I'll probably stick with Verizon so long as I stay grandfathered.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Edit: double post - argh
Last edited by Arthur Dent on September 3 13, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

When did you last upgrade? Because I've heard that I will lose it with my next upgrade.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Smith Corks One wrote:
Jocephus wrote:i have sprint...unlimited text/data, i think 450 mins, for 65$. probably getting ripped off but i rarely use my phone for actual phone calls. need to get a new phone too...
What does that end up being with taxes and everything? I think I have the exact same plan, but somehow it ends up being $90 when it's all said and done.

Edit: Yeah, it's called the Everything Data 450 Plan, but for me it's 79.99 plus taxes. Is that $65 with an employee discount or something?
i believe i do have a state employee discount of maybe, like...15%...which i tend to forget about (added the discount several years ago)