I don't think one has to be a partisan on any side of the political spectrum to understand that, in your hypothetical, the outcome of the case would have been the opposite.pioneer98 wrote:I have to wonder if the ruling would have been the same if Hobby Lobby were owned by Muslims. The cry would have been "Sharia law!!!" We can't even let Muslims open a mosque in NYC without whining about it. I can only imagine the outcry if we found out they were discriminating against employees in the name of religion.
Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43288
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
It has been years since I was there, before all of this. Hobby Lobby struck me as a weird place from the get go. A Big Box store selling nothing but doodads and brickabrack. Crap. Kind of like a Lake of Ozarks junk store, only bigger with Christmas and angel stuff replacing the sexual innuendo stuff.
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43288
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Once upon a time the wife and i were getting married which of course involves various craft projects, which of course meant multiple trips to hell on earth places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Then we had to return a bunch of [expletive] to Hobby Lobby, and they DIDN'T HAVE UPC CODES on any of the [expletive] items.
Do you know how long it takes to return items and get a refund on your card when there aren't UPC codes they can scan? For [expletive] ever, that's how long.
Is it because they hold some sort of weird Revelations-based belief that the UPC code is the mark of the beast? Or do they just hate their customers that much?
Do you know how long it takes to return items and get a refund on your card when there aren't UPC codes they can scan? For [expletive] ever, that's how long.
Is it because they hold some sort of weird Revelations-based belief that the UPC code is the mark of the beast? Or do they just hate their customers that much?
-
Socnorb11
- The Last Word
- Posts: 21906
- Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
My wife and I frequent Hobby Lobby from time to time. It's hard to beat them for things like art supplies, picture frames, etc.
That being said, I think the ruling is absurd. It's a little hypocritical for Hobby Lobby to refuse birth control to their employees, on the grounds of Chrstianity............. and at the same time, a large percentage of their inventory was made in China (a country which encourages/mandates birth control & abortion). Also, I've read that the Hobby Lobby 401K plan is heavily invested in a company that makes contraceptives.
I think they're picking and choosing their political battles (not religious battles), and hiding behind their Christianity to do it. And I'm a devout Christian.
That being said, I think the ruling is absurd. It's a little hypocritical for Hobby Lobby to refuse birth control to their employees, on the grounds of Chrstianity............. and at the same time, a large percentage of their inventory was made in China (a country which encourages/mandates birth control & abortion). Also, I've read that the Hobby Lobby 401K plan is heavily invested in a company that makes contraceptives.
I think they're picking and choosing their political battles (not religious battles), and hiding behind their Christianity to do it. And I'm a devout Christian.
Last edited by Socnorb11 on July 2 14, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
TimeForGuinness
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 20007
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
...more like Hobby Lobbyist, AMIRITE GUISE?!
- pioneer98
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22007
- Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
- Location: High A Minors
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
Emboldened by the Supreme Court, religious orgs are now asking if they can discriminate against hiring LGBT's:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/r ... obby-lobby
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/r ... obby-lobby
- pioneer98
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22007
- Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
- Location: High A Minors
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
All right! Holliday with an RBI, too. Runs!
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
When can we start the Alito, Scalia death watch?
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
'Cuz UPC codes are to direct the UN troop movements..Der.heyzeus wrote: Hobby Lobby, and they DIDN'T HAVE UPC CODES on any of the [expletive] items.
- docellis
- America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
- Posts: 24741
- Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm
Re: Affordable Care Act (AKA Obamacare)
This has to get appealed or repealed or something. This ruling has made me angrier than any political issue I can think of in a very long time. The implications are just [expletive] ridiculous.

