The Unwritten Rules Book.

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Knot Hole Gang Vet
In perpetuum

The Unwritten Rules Book.

Post by Knot Hole Gang Vet »

Announcers kept referring to the first batter for the Royals " ambushing" Hudson's first pitch last night. Is there a commandment in the URB that says- Thou shalt not swing at the first pitch of the ball game, because it is an automatic meatball right down the center of the plate.? Is it an affront to the opposing pitcher while he is trying to settle in? He has already thrown all those warm up pitches, does he need a ritual first pitch to start the game? Hudson looked quite chagrined as he watched that double bounce off the left field wall. I wonder if he was thinking: I can't believe he swung at my first pitch, how rude. Or, was he upset that he gave up that ball down the middle?

I thought it set the tone for the whole game, that the Royals came here to make sure they return to KC for more games. Although I had no overriding rooting interest, it was a terrific ball game for a fan of the game.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Re: The Unwritten Rules Book.

Post by jim »

No, swinging at the first pitch is well within the URB.

Knot Hole Gang Vet
In perpetuum

Post by Knot Hole Gang Vet »

Help me to be perfectly clear here, jim- was he free to swing at that pitch or did he commit a sin, and he can expect to be brushed back from the batters box on the first pitch today?

jim

Post by jim »

No, there is no breach of etiquette swinging at the first pitch of the game, Hudson was irritated at himself. There should be no retaliation of any kind, no hard feelings, etc... Most of the URB due to sportsmanship issues - breaking up a no-hitter with a bunt, running up the score, admiring your work on a long home run etc..

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I can understand to some extent pitchers throwing at guys for admiring their home runs but never understood throwing at a guy his next at bat just because he made you look bad.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

JoeMcKim wrote:I can understand to some extent pitchers throwing at guys for admiring their home runs but never understood throwing at a guy his next at bat just because he made you look bad.
I understand it perfectly well and I am probably one of the worst sports you'll ever meet. It's a pride thing and a detriment.

jim

Post by jim »

I had a coach once where the rule was if a guy hit a home run off of you, the next batter you brushed back. I don't think he really meant any bad sportsmanship, he just felt like if a guy hit a home run he must have been awfully comfortable, and it was just time to take the comfort level away.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Brush back is one thing but straight up hitting someone else is another thing.

jim

Post by jim »

JoeMcKim wrote:Brush back is one thing but straight up hitting someone else is another thing.
I agree, but I do remember other teams misinterpreting what we were doing lol..

Jmodene
Still waiting for someone to use a Weird Al song

Post by Jmodene »

jim wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:Brush back is one thing but straight up hitting someone else is another thing.
I agree, but I do remember other teams misinterpreting what we were doing lol..
Bear in mind that a brushback often becomes a HBP because the guys are leaning over the plate. A guy like Gibson used to say that those guys, in essence, hit themselves. He's very eloquent on the subject.