The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Tim
Consider him admonished

Re: The OFFICIAL meat smoking thread

Post by Tim »

Orion Cooker

Using it these weekend for a Boston Butt
[SHOW]

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Freed Roger wrote:Furchizzle. Just pulled the park butts off after an 11 hour smoke. Damn it is good. Thought about posting a facebookish pic. Letting it cool before wrapping it up. 3-9 lbers. Big Galoot and I putting a small dent in it.
I can smell it from here. Damn I'm hungry.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Tim wrote:Orion Cooker

[SHOW]
I've always wondered if those are as easy as thye look. Let us know how it turns out...and post pictures!

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

So the pig roast was a smashing success.

After all the waffling about how we were gonna cook it and how we were gonna prepare it, we ended up doing completely opposite of everything i talked about with some of you on here.

We ended up using a a 5x3 smoker to cook the sucker and let me tell you, this probably isn't the most ideal way to do it because it was a goddamn chore all day long (but the end justified the means).

The day started around 9 am with prepping the smoker by throwing a bag of coal in there and lighting it on fire. We quickly found this to be wrong, because they fire roared to around 500 degrees, so we ended up having to remove about half a bags worth of coals in order to drop the temp to the 200-250 range the guy who we rented the smoker from recommended. We let it warm up for about an hour and a half to a steady 225-250 degrees.

We did absolutely nothing to prep the pig--no brining, no rubs, no injections, though i wouldn't recommend this route on anything other than a suckling. We wrapped its ears and tails in tin foil and shoved an apple in it mouth then slapped it on the smoker.

We quickly found just how much work we were in for during the rest of the day, because we found that we would have to keep pouring hot coals into the smoker to regulate the temp, which this wasn't much of a surprise, but again we are newbs and this was just a bit of a curveball, so after some trial and error, we developed a system of warming up 10-15 coals every 30-45 minutes and throwing them in the smoker to keep the temp steady.

So meanwhile everyone was playing drinking games, so that distracted from the fact that the pig took 3 more hours than we had planned for.

We threw it in the smoker at 11:30 and everyone was eating around 7:30, so 8 hours total to smoke the thing.

I was pleased to hear people say it was some of the best pork they'd ever had--not sure if they were being nice or not, but i can say it was some of the best i've had, but that may also be because i cooked it.

I will say, the skin was not edible, so next year we will plan better for that--perhaps rubbing it down or maybe marinating beforehand.

All in all, it was a big mixture of stress and work but in the end completely worth it.

Thanks again everyone for your help, tips and suggestions!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

LOL. Typical day of smoking. Plan for a month, throw the plan away, success.

Glad it worked out!

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Ha yea go figure...i just kept thinking to myself "the boys over at GRB are gonna be NONE too happy to hear about this"

Ill def keep all the suggestions and tips on the backburner though, because good information is so damn hard to come by on the 'net.

Also, i should probably add that we did have two hickory logs burning in the smoker as well, so i wasn't completely honest about doing nothing to pig.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Tim wrote:Orion Cooker

[SHOW]
I've always wondered if those are as easy as thye look. Let us know how it turns out...and post pictures!
It is incredibly easy. Was in the market for a Green Egg, but was convinced to try this instead. More affordable, quicker and the taste is incredible. 3hr 45min for a 7.5lb boston butt, smoked with cherry wood chips

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Do you get frustrated and talk about how lousy the brisket is going to be a half hour into cooking it?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lukethedrifter wrote:Do you get frustrated and talk about how lousy the brisket is going to be a half hour into cooking it?
what happened? too much early heat?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Sometimes...things just go badly.
[SHOW]

And...[expletive] here comes the storm out of nowhere.so i get the only rope i had laying around to...uh secure it to the grill....
And...yeah, that was never going to work...