Cardinals hire Randy Flores as new Scouting Director

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: Cardinals hire Randy Flores as new Scouting Director

Post by a_smith »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Vidor wrote:What I remember Randy Flores for.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 0190.shtml

Called on in relief of Suppan after a leadoff walk in the 7th. Asked to face lefty-RIGHTY-lefty, got all three, whiffed RHB David Wright. In a tie game with the pennant on the line.

Good times.
I remember that game very well...is it odd that I can remember the 2006 NLCS like it was yesterday but I have no memory whatsoever of the 2013 World Series?
good memories vs trauma

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Woolkins wrote:He founded OnDeck Digital, a company that uses video technology to evaluate baseball players. It's being used by eleven teams in MLB. I wonder if this hire brings all the technology and information from the company and makes it proprietary to the Cardinals.
They already have a lot of subscribers and I doubt they would divest the business and take it from subscribers so the Cardinals could have the whole thing. If they wanted it, Dewitt could have bought the company. I'd assume they want him to help in the development of something similar for Redbird or whatever that mothersystem is called, whether from scratch (doubt it) or in perfecting and fine-tuning something already in place/in development (more likely.)

Knot Hole Gang Vet
In perpetuum

Post by Knot Hole Gang Vet »

I phoned Randy's father in law yesterday, and he had only heard about it when his daughter contacted him after the deal was finalized the day before. He is not a baseball fan, and hasn't watched a game since Randy retired.

He told me Randy and his daughter live in Irvine in Orange County, have 2 daughters, and Randy was working for USC-doing some coaching and scouting for them. Also, running his company and doing work for people who desired that type of information on players. USC is a premier muscle bending school, so I guess he was doing important work for them. His Dad told me that USC offered him the coaching job, but he declined.

The Cards called him and asked if he would come for an interview. There were 4 interviewed, and they called him soon after to offer him the position. So. I assume they liked his approach. I don't know who the others were, but I think the Cardinals are a very "fraternal" operation, and they certainly have a great fondness for past players who played for them.

Randy was best man at Mark Mulder's wedding a few years ago, and they and Kyle Lohse worked out together in Scottsdale, Az. during off seasons. If there are other positions to fill in his department, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Mark come back to work with him. He has a pretty good situation in broadcasting now, but some guys miss being part of the action instead of just commenting on it. He tried to come back a year or so ago, and it didn't work out.

The Cards are going to make the formal announcement next week, when they return home, so there will be some MLB network coverage I'm sure. It will be tough to leave Southern California weather to move to St. Louis weather, but baseball is a nomadic life style, and they all accept it. His wife will close down their home, and they have to take girls out of school, but I'm sure it will all work out for them.

Randy's Dad told me he would call me if there were any more interesting developments.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

Thanks for the update Knot Hole Gang Vet

Knot Hole Gang Vet
In perpetuum

Post by Knot Hole Gang Vet »

I talked to our daughter's ex husband today, and he told me that the Cardinals have been scouting his nephew in Southern California for the last year. The amazing thing is that he is 13, and in middle school. He has been gung ho on baseball since he was about 6, and has always been the star shortstop on all the teams on which he played. I know we are signing kids out of high school these days, but this is really amazing to me.

I guess the idea is to seek out only the outstanding players on all the teams in your area, and later when it's time for them to try to break into baseball, the scouts have a leg up on the competition who come late to table.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

in the 2nd FG GDT chat yesterday, eric longenhagen mentioned he was watching arizona state vs uni of arizona and then this later

Eric A Longenhagen: The Cardinals scouting director is here to see SIlseth/Holgate, etc.

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Post by Mary1966 »

I was creating a character in Second Life, and Flores came up as a last name, so I decided to name my female character Randi. Haven't played in a long time.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Knot Hole Gang Vet wrote:
August 30 15, 8:23 pm
I talked to our daughter's ex husband today, and he told me that the Cardinals have been scouting his nephew in Southern California for the last year. The amazing thing is that he is 13, and in middle school. He has been gung ho on baseball since he was about 6, and has always been the star shortstop on all the teams on which he played. I know we are signing kids out of high school these days, but this is really amazing to me.

I guess the idea is to seek out only the outstanding players on all the teams in your area, and later when it's time for them to try to break into baseball, the scouts have a leg up on the competition who come late to table.
If this kid is the real deal it doesn't matter how much you scout him as a junior high kid, he still has to be availabel in the draft when its the Cardinals turn to draft.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

JoeMcKim wrote:
April 2 21, 7:19 pm

If this kid is the real deal it doesn't matter how much you scout him as a junior high kid, he still has to be availabel in the draft when its the Cardinals turn to draft.
That kid should be about 19 by now. Wonder if he is still playing ball.

I miss Knot Hole Gang Vet's posts.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

CardsofSTL wrote:
April 3 21, 12:51 pm
JoeMcKim wrote:
April 2 21, 7:19 pm

That kid should be about 19 by now. Wonder if he is still playing ball.

I miss Knot Hole Gang Vet's posts.
I would be wary of some kid who peaks too early.