Orlando shooting

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Orlando shooting

Post by GeddyWrox »

BW23 wrote:
Shocking.
I'm still waiting for you or anyone else to explain how labeling this "radical Islam" would aid in reducing the number of lone wolf and other such attacks. Are we going to start drone strikes against our own citizens or something of that nature???

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

When we talk about different cultures, religions, races mixing together the thing we have to remember is that it really is a complicated world, full of laughter and tears, it's a world of hopes and fears. There is so much that we share that I think by god it's high time we are aware, that it really is an incredibly small small world after all.

Cheddar Tom
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cheddar Tom »

I don't think Republicans really want Obama to say "radical Islam"....since this reinforces the belief to 43% of them that he actually is Muslim. It's kind of like a "come on...prove you are not a Muslim and say it." It's the only explanation I have for why they insist on Obama saying it as I do not believe they seriously think it would change anything.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:If Obama just used the right words to describe terrorists, this war would already be over. They'd be like "What did he just call us? Wow....That's it, tell them they can have back Iraq."

Can't recall if I posted this in the locked thread or not but of the 25 deadliest mass shootings in the US, almost none happened when assault weapons were banned from 1994 to 2004. Orlando being at the top.
as pointed out before, all except Columbine
Two others happened in 1999, but that seems to be the outlier year. No other year from 94-2004 had a single one in the top 25.
This conclusion is pretty weak. Both 1998-1999 were bad, and in general, this is quite a bumpy data series:

A bit stronger looking if you consider average casualties per incident:

Edit:

And if you look at the weapons used in these incident, the most popular choice by far is semiautomatic handgun.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

wart57 wrote:There are good and bad in all religions. I choose to follow the good teachings.
Seems like the right approach.

Despite what people say, religion is what people choose to make it. Nominally religious behaviors of religious people change massively with the individual and their circumstances without any revisions to holy text.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

Arthur Dent wrote:
wart57 wrote:There are good and bad in all religions. I choose to follow the good teachings.
Seems like the right approach.

Despite what people say, religion is what people choose to make it. Nominally religious behaviors of religious people change massively with the individual and their circumstances without any revisions to holy text.
I think that's because in the United States religion seems to be more about tradition and ceremony.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

GeddyWrox wrote:
BW23 wrote:
Shocking.
I'm still waiting for you or anyone else to explain how labeling this "radical Islam" would aid in reducing the number of lone wolf and other such attacks. Are we going to start drone strikes against our own citizens or something of that nature???

I don't know how I say this without getting people pissed at me but as I said before. There is a sizable portion of population in this country that fantasizes the US having a holy war with Islam and "turning the middle east to glass." I put that in quotes because I've read it on my facebook feed several times since Sunday. There is a sizable group of people in America that want war with Islam and so by labeling it "radical Islam" it lets them justify that war. Much more so then just saying some nutbag with a gun. I mean when someone blows up an abortion clinic we don't call them radical Christians, but a lone wolf.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

IMADreamer wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:
BW23 wrote:
Shocking.

I don't know how I say this without getting people pissed at me but as I said before. There is a sizable portion of population in this country that fantasizes the US having a holy war with Islam and "turning the middle east to glass." I put that in quotes because I've read it on my facebook feed several times since Sunday. There is a sizable group of people in America that want war with Islam and so by labeling it "radical Islam" it lets them justify that war. Much more so then just saying some nutbag with a gun. I mean when someone blows up an abortion clinic we don't call them radical Christians, but a lone wolf.
I call him a radical Christian. And a nut bar.

Tim
Consider him admonished

Post by Tim »

IMADreamer wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:
BW23 wrote:
Shocking.

My faith doesn't call for that.
My faith calls for turning the other cheek.
My faith calls for walking the extra mile.
My faith calls for giving my coat and cloak.
Luckily my God is full of grace and mercy, because I sure suck at those three.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

IMADreamer wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:
BW23 wrote:
Shocking.

Do you mean you?

http://gatewayredbirds.com/forum/viewto ... t#p1495213
IMADreamer wrote:ISIS threat to kill the Pope credible.
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/566517/2 ... BnUmZRdXng

Wasn't really sure if this should go in the Pope thread or here. So I like the Pope. I self identify as a Catholic and if these guys killed the Pope that would piss me off. I'm not being hyperbolic here but I kind of want to get this off my chest. More and more I'm growing a bit less tolerant of Islam. I know there are good Muslims. Still as a whole Islam and the middle east in general seems like a breading ground for [expletive] stains of the earth. If Isis kills the Pope well I don't want to think about what mindset I'd be in after that.