Flint, Michigan:

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
UK
Perennial All-Star

Re: Flint, Michigan:

Post by UK »

I definitely think so. They were going to take it away from Detroit Water and Sewer regardless of cost.

Similar to Scott Walker and Act 10, the teachers union caved to his demands and they could've accepted less but his agenda was that of the right and eliminate unions regardless of outcome.

It's pretty telling that Snyder would take a more expensive deal as well as more unsafe for the people of Flint to the point where his administration killed their residents, caused irrevocable brain damage to the children of Flint and destroyed 10000 homes and thousands of buildings.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

UK wrote:I definitely think so. They were going to take it away from Detroit Water and Sewer regardless of cost.

Similar to Scott Walker and Act 10, the teachers union caved to his demands and they could've accepted less but his agenda was that of the right and eliminate unions regardless of outcome.

It's pretty telling that Snyder would take a more expensive deal as well as more unsafe for the people of Flint to the point where his administration killed their residents, caused irrevocable brain damage to the children of Flint and destroyed 10000 homes and thousands of buildings.
In the Randian world that so many of the GOP inhabit, John Galt doesn't give a [expletive]. John Galt rules because John Galt's accomplishments make him deserving to rule.
Whatever John Galt thinks is good for John Galt is good enough for everyone who wasn't capable enough to be John Galt.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

This is what Rick Snyder's austerity privatizer policies bring - the toll on human lives - and it ends up costing ass loads of money to fix his mistakes.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder proposes $360 million for Flint water fix

UK
Perennial All-Star

Post by UK »

Who knew the Flint river was not safe?

Oh yeah, some company called General Motors who felt the water was unsafe for the paint on their cars yet, they felt it was ok to give to the residents.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

ST. LOUIS • Preliminary results from tests conducted this summer have revealed elevated lead levels in water in almost half of all school buildings throughout St. Louis Public Schools.

Students in 30 schools returned to school this week to find at least one drinking fountain or one sink shut off due to the elevated lead levels. At Meramec Elementary, one of each was turned off. At Patrick Henry Downtown Academy, where yellow tape and "out of order" tags are attached to the first floor drinking fountain.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/educ ... 70da4.html

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

cardsfansince82 wrote:It goes without saying that this would never occur in an affluent predominantly white community. Get ready for an avalanche of lawsuits.
Can't tell if this is sarcasm, but Flint actually is pretty white and affluent. Used to live pretty close to there and even bought a dog from a very reputable Newfoundland dog breeder in Flint. They moved the Plymouth Whalers minor league hockey team to Flint last year too.

This isn't some crazed planned attack on minorities and the lower class. This is just typical Michigan. Everybody is trying to get one step in front of everybody, and if poisoning the population means a bigger paycheck, many people there wouldn't bat an eye at it. Michigan, particularly Detroit and its metro area, are awful places. I'd rather get shipped off to a third world country than have to live there again.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

According to the U.S. Census, Flint is 57% black and has a 42% poverty rate.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Is that not common? Flint has some very expensive neighborhoods and schools. I had plenty of coworkers who lived and grew up there and attended University of Michigan. It could have been any town there, Michigan is just a horrible place.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Michigan as a whole is 80% white and has a 14% poverty rate, so I would say that Flint is much poorer and less white than average.

Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

cards2468 wrote:Is that not common? Flint has some very expensive neighborhoods and schools. I had plenty of coworkers who lived and grew up there and attended University of Michigan. It could have been any town there, Michigan is just a horrible place.
Drawing from my own experience, New Orleans has some pretty expensive neighborhoods and schools. Income equality and race disparity are through the roof though. I am not familiar with the demographics of flint, but I'm just saying; the two things aren't mutually exclusive.